1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sysyem back up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TedK, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TedK

TedK Thread Starter

I have an external hard drive to back up on to, a Freecom FHD-2. My OS is Xp Pro SP 2
    and I use Norton Internet Security 2007,Spybot and AVG anti spyware and Sophos anti root kit scan. I used to have no problem doing a backup but now I get the following error msg;
    "Cannot get exclusive access to hard disk drives. Please make sure that Windows Computer Management Consol or other software that locks the hard drives are not running"
    I have turned off the Norton package and my screensaver, but I am at a loss as to what or how to turn off any other software locking the drives. Can anyone help? It used to be so easy to do a back up, but now I am not able to.

2. bbearren

bbearren

What changes have you made since your last backup?

3. TedK

TedK Thread Starter

I just dont know what changes I have made since I last backed up as I have installed some programmes to try and then deleted them, but then I,ve always done this. I dont understand which programmes or applications can "lock" the hard drives. It has now been around four months since I have been able to do a full back up, and now the internal Hard drive is running slow I may soon have to replace that, and Im not looking forward to that with no current back up on my external drive.

4. TedK

TedK Thread Starter

I think I can now say this problem is solved. I managed to do a backup by Nero which found my external HD with no trouble. So much for the Acronis OEM whic came with my external drive.:)

5. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you Defrag your External drive lately....

6. TedK

TedK Thread Starter

Yes I have and out of 20gb I had 14gb free so bags of room. I just dont know why Acronis could,nt run but Nero could, anyway Im happy that I have now found a way to do a backup.

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Understood....

Acronis may be protecting the backup you had already made somehow....just a thought

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice