Sysyem back up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TedK

I have an external hard drive to back up on to, a Freecom FHD-2. My OS is Xp Pro SP 2
and I use Norton Internet Security 2007,Spybot and AVG anti spyware and Sophos anti root kit scan. I used to have no problem doing a backup but now I get the following error msg;
"Cannot get exclusive access to hard disk drives. Please make sure that Windows Computer Management Consol or other software that locks the hard drives are not running"
I have turned off the Norton package and my screensaver, but I am at a loss as to what or how to turn off any other software locking the drives. Can anyone help? It used to be so easy to do a back up, but now I am not able to.

TedK

I just dont know what changes I have made since I last backed up as I have installed some programmes to try and then deleted them, but then I,ve always done this. I dont understand which programmes or applications can "lock" the hard drives. It has now been around four months since I have been able to do a full back up, and now the internal Hard drive is running slow I may soon have to replace that, and Im not looking forward to that with no current back up on my external drive.

TedK

I think I can now say this problem is solved. I managed to do a backup by Nero which found my external HD with no trouble. So much for the Acronis OEM whic came with my external drive.:)

TedK

Yes I have and out of 20gb I had 14gb free so bags of room. I just dont know why Acronis could,nt run but Nero could, anyway Im happy that I have now found a way to do a backup.

bonk

Banned
Understood....

Acronis may be protecting the backup you had already made somehow....just a thought

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online