1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

T r y i n g to port forward, seems to block instead of help?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by samuelbrody, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samuelbrody

samuelbrody Thread Starter

HI!

I am not really a techy guy, just to start off, so if you find any solutions to my problems I might need them in as plain English as possible!

My internet connection is kinda bad, I live in a family of 5 and if even 2 of us are attempting to watch a YouTube video/stream something or play XBOX then it takes forever to load a video and playing games like FIFA and COD, they're just almost un playable and it really ruins my experience:(

SO, I attempted to rectify it after *when I was watching a YouTube video* someone said about port forwarding, I followed up a guide I found on the internet, and I thought I followed it all great, I input all the relevant information into my SKY broadband page, the Inbound Services and Outbound and all that...

But now my internet connection still sucks, AND it seems to be blocking me from some websites on my laptop?

I tried to go back onto the page *which I favourited* to see if I had done anything wrong in the tutorial and it just simply won't let me on to it and other pages!!

Just wondering if anybody could help me get this all set up and working, as because there are 5 of us in my family, it's kinda important in this techy age haha!!

Many thanks in advance,

Samuel Conway

P.S. I can try and send screenshots of my Command Prompt bit if you need that, just let me know!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Port forwarding is not going to change your internet service. You port forward to tell the router to which computer to direct remote access.

I have no idea what you did. Why not just disable or undo whatever you did?

3. samuelbrody

samuelbrody Thread Starter

What is the point in port forwarding then for gaming, is it just for gaming? I thought it just told your router or whatever to allow more access to stuff thus making it faster and more responsive? idk haha:(

I'd like to, but I cannot access the website that I followed, so I cannot back track my steps haha!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice