1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

T21 Thinkpad - "Partial" Battery Charge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Old Bob, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Old Bob

Old Bob Thread Starter

I installed a "spare" battery that I picked up at local computer show. Initially it had a 2% charge. After I plugged in the power supply, it steadily built up [things went from orange to green].

However, when it reached 74% it stopped charging !! I pulled the plug and ran the battery down to 50%. But when it reached 74% it stopped again.

The little green battery symbol [on the hinge] has stopped "blinking" ??

How can I get a 100% charge into the battery ??

NOTE: I posted this on Thinkpad forum and got "zero response".

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Chances are it is suffereing from the "memory effect" as they do after a while. Batteries do not have an infinite life and this is one of the first indications that it is getting tired. You should discharge it down to nearly zero and recharge it a few times to see if it recovers (unlikely)

3. Old Bob

Old Bob Thread Starter

Dave,

Thanks for response. After running battery down to about 3% I have had the notebook "off" but plugged in for the past 24 hours. The battery felt "barely warm" after all this time ???

Battery only charged to 52% BUT notebook ran for almost 2 hours, so that's not too bad for a battery I paid $20 for. I am beginning to question that "52%" figure, I suspect it may be more "fully charged" but not showing a higher number.

I downloaded some web site reading material, I appear I have a lot to learn about the "charging/conditioning" of litium/ion batteries.

Thanks for your interest and help.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If its LiOn technology it will NOT have a "memory effect" as suggested above.

By the life its giving I suspect its more of a reporting problem than a storage problem as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!