1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

T43 won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maytah, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maytah

maytah Thread Starter

So I have an IBM t43 thinkpad.

The following is what happens:

I press the power button, and the little light for power blinks real fast then shuts off. No boot up, no noise, nothing.

I pull the battery out, hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Put the battery back in, press the power button, it boots up normal.

Stays on for about 1-2 minutes. Then shuts off.

Press the power button again, light lights up for power, then shuts off real quick again.

This will happen over and over if I continue to do what I have stated.

Sounds like it could be overheating, but the whole power light going on and off fast makes me think it could be something else?

I read it could be static and by holding down the power button with the battery out it clears the static. And that works but only for a minute or two as stated.

Could it be the battery?

If I plug the power cord in it doesn't seem to change anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

2. Megabite

Megabite

Your battery could be dead.......but if the same thing happens with the power chord plugged in could mean the power adapter maybe faulty and hasn't charged the battery up....so I would check the power adapter first to see if it is supplying the correct power.

3. maytah

maytah Thread Starter

Any easy way to determine if the power cord is working properly?

Because wether the battery is plugged in or not, with the cord plugged in, nothing happens, so if the battery isn't plugged in, bu the power cord is, and nothing boots, isn't that enough to determine the power cord is fried?

Thanks so much for your quick response, I love this forum!

4. Megabite

Megabite

Well testing it with a Multimeter would work.........or using another power adapter that has the same output.

5. maytah

maytah Thread Starter

Alright, I'll see what I can do!

Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!