1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Table Relationships in Access

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by FATMA, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FATMA

FATMA Thread Starter

Below are 3 tables that I've created in my database:

"CANDIDATE" TABLE FIELDS
    - candidateID (primary key)
    - Term
    - CandidateName

"VOTE" Table Fields
    - Candidate ID {indexed as Yes (duplicates OK)}
    - ShareholderID

"SHAREHOLDER" TABLE FIELDS
    - ShareholderID (primary key)
    - LastName
    - FirstName
    - Address1
    - Address2
    - City
    - Province
    - PostalCode

I'm trying to create a one-to-many relationships between the CANDIDATE table to the VOTE table but it's showing up as one-to-one.

Any suggestions.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Fatma:

I'm not sure what purpose the Vote table has unless it has additional fields you're not mentioning. Without that table, the Shareholder table simply links right to the Candidate table.

3. Rockn

Rockn

I agree with dreamboat. Your one-to-one is because you have the shareholderID in the vote table also. You need to analyxe your design a bit I think. If you want to keep the vote table don't relate the candidate table to it. Since the canndidates are fixed values and aren't going to change just use that table as a dropdown for a list of candidates in a form. After the form is filled in and the vote is entered only the ID from the candidate table is put into the vote table along with the ID for the shareholder.

4. FATMA

FATMA Thread Starter

Need some help with the database set up. What I'm trying to do is to set up a database which would enable me to record proxy votes.

Each shareholder has to select a maximum of three candidates for each term. There are three terms in all and for each term there is a different list of candidates the shareholder can choose from.

What would be the best way to go about doing that.

Thanks

Fatmah

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice