1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

table size -- pixels vs percent

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by higginsbl, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. higginsbl

higginsbl Thread Starter

In Dreamweaver there is an option to make your table a certain size based on pixels (ie: 600 pixels wide) or based on percent of the browser window (ie: 100% of the window). Though I can SEE the actual difference in browsers when I choose one over the other, I do not know what the advantages of disadvantages of setting up a table in one fashion over the other. Somewhere along the line I remember someone saying it is better to go by pixel size than percent, but I don't know why.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks!

BL

2. shadowboss

shadowboss

Hi there,

The advantage of using percentage over absolute dimensions is that no matter what screen resolution your users view your site with (i.e. 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, etc.) the proportionality of your table will be consistent. Imagine how terrible it would look if you developed a table to be 1024 pixels wide (absolutely) and your visitor comes with his/her resolution at only 800 pixels wide. The browser would display an ugly scroll bar so they could navigate left to right.

So, you have to decide which method will work for your particular design. You may want to have a nested table with absolute dimensions rather than percentages in some cases.

Maybe this wasn't the answer you were looking for, but hopefully it provided you some insight into the difference between the two. Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice