1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tablet PC Build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JamesCRocks, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamesCRocks

JamesCRocks Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Samsung Tablet PC which I want to rebuild ... I have the recovery DVD but how do I do that given that I have no DVD?

Any answers appreciated.

Kyu

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I'm not familiar with that unit; but, I assume you mean you have no DVD drive.

Does it have a USB port? If so, you would need to connect an external USB DVD drive and boot from it to do the recovery operation. You would also have to be sure the system BIOS in the tablet PC is set to boot from USB; it may be set that way, already.

3. dannyn

dannyn

also... something he may try if he dosent have a dvd drive is making a usb thumb drive a bootable drive.

4. JamesCRocks

OK ... thanks. I don't have either of those but I do have a couple of USB hard drives (40Gb and 160Gb) so I suppose I could transfer the data off and make one bootable. I'll have to look up how to do it though.

Thanks

Kyu

5. JamesCRocks

OK, to continue this ... how do I make a hard disk bootable?

I have ...

1. The Samsung Tablet PC with no CD/DVD
    2. The Samsung recovery DVD
    3. A 40Gb USB Hard Drive

I don't have a flash drive or a USB CD/DVD drive.

Is there a way I can make the USB (40Gb) drive bootable and more to the point can I make it boot an image of the DVD drive from that disk?

I can create an ISO of the disk and install a virtual CD/DVD on the PC but I am unsure whether that will allow me to recover the system given that the OS (XP Pro) will be running at the time.

Any help appreciated?

Kyu

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Very, very complicated project. So complicated, I don't think I would want to tackle it by remote using someone else's hands and eyes.

I recently helped an old lady uninstall an old antivirus and reinstall a new one over the phone. An operation that I could have done in 20 minutes if I were there, took about four hours spread over four days.

I don't care to even think about how long this would take.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice