1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tabs are missing in display property

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by debeshbhai, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debeshbhai

debeshbhai Thread Starter

Display Properties, it's missing all the tabs. It always opens into the same window (I think either the Themes or the Appearance tab/window). Then I found out he still has his tabs and that you can access them with the keybaord (hitting Tab until the tabs are selected, then using the arrow keys to navigate from tab to tab), the tabs are just too small to be seen or to be accessed with a mouse.
    I don't think this is caused by a virus or spyware because I did a virus check and ran tons of anti-spyware software (Adaware, Spybot, Ashampoo, AVG antispyware, Windows Defender, Trendmicro) and it hardly found anything. I also don't think there's anything wrong with the registry because I ran Ccleaner. I just recently ran sfc /scannow from the command prompt and that did nothing either.
    I noticed that when I have Display Properties open and I change to a certain theme and click Apply, then all the tabs will suddenly appear. I'll hit OK, which will close Display Properties, and I'll think the problem is solved. Then when I open Display Properties again, it has no tabs again. I'll change the theme again, click Apply, and suddenly the tabs are visible. But once again, they'll only be visible for as long as I have Display Properties open. When I close it and open it agian, the tabs are gone again. I think I'm onto something here and that I'm so close to resolving this. Does anyone know how I can resolve this

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Ccleaner's registry cleaner, like all of them, causes varying degrees of system damage. I'd suggest you avoid these tools since they only remove possibly needed entries, do not "fix" anything except errors that they themselves define, and can make a system unbootable or unusable. You should restore its backup of registry settings removed.

Check to be sure all the tabs are allowed with:

XP Security Console

You might also try this general toolbar fix:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_ToolbarFix.zip

3. debeshbhai

Thanks for your reply.
    But, it has has not solved my computer problem.
    If you have any solution regarding this problem please reply me.

4. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

debeshbhai, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 285 (right column) and click on "Restore All Display Tabs" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

5. debeshbhai

Thank u for your information.
    I have done this. Although this problem is not solved.
    If u have any solution regarding this problem please replay me.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you post an image of this so we can see what the problem really is?

7. debeshbhai

The screen print of the problem of not viewing tabs in the display properties is in the attachment in the pdf format.

8. debeshbhai

The screen print of the problem of not viewing tabs in the display properties is in the attachment in the jpg format.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      219.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      221.1 KB
      Views:
  9. virtuindia

virtuindia

you can try to do this - first is change the group policy settings and next is change the registry value.

let me explain how to do this two steps:

Click Start --> Run --> Type gpedit.msc -- > Click OK

in the Group Policy Editor Window Navigate the User Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Control Panel --> Display -->
    On the Right Pane --> Double Click hide Desktop Tab --> Change the settings into Not configured.

The Second one is open registry Editor -> navigate H
    KCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System --> Right-click NoDispBackgroundPage to select Modify --> Change the value to 0

--and --

Navigate to --> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System -- >Right-click NoDispBackgroundPage to select Modify --> Change the value to 0

10. debeshbhai

I am using Windows XP Home Edition sp3, Version - 2008, so the gpedit.msc is not running. I am copy it fom Win xp prof and run it through mmc.exe but here the Aministrative Templates entry is not shown under User Configuration.
    So what I will do next to solve this problem?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Use the registry fixes suggested since Group Policy will not work on Home Edition.

12. JeffM

JeffM

IT Professional ?????????????? lol

13. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

debeshbhai, Try the reg file fix again that I recommended in Post #4. It should restore thr Display Properties tabs. After running the reg file restart your computer.

Tufenuf

14. debeshbhai

I have done all the above cited solution but the problem is not solved

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice