1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

taking apart hp dv7 laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luukki123, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luukki123

luukki123 Thread Starter

Hi
    I've recently encountered some serious cooling issues with my dv7 2195 eo. I would like to dismantle my laptop so that i could clean my heatsink and apply some thermal paste onto the cpu. I havent found aguide on google. Also dont tell me that i will screw up my computer cause i really dont care if i do. Also only cleaning the fan didnt work.

Thanks.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. luukki123

luukki123 Thread Starter

Probably not. See those haven't got the same back as mine. I gonna try to search a pic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onFr7iumxX8
    this is the same computer as mine. (or it looks similar). I tried this once but the video i very unclear and he doesn't fully disassemble the computer.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Every laptop make and model looks different, so it's assembled differently. If someone with your exact make and model hasn't uploaded a video to YouTube on how to take it apart, you're going to have to take a leap of faith on your own.

5. luukki123

luukki123 Thread Starter

But but... I don't know if i want to take that leap D:

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's up to you. If no one's uploaded a video, it's highly unlikely you'll stumble across someone in a forum with the same exact make and model laptop who's taken it completely apart who will hold your hand on the phone through the process.

There are lots of little screws of all different sizes, and dozens of tiny fragile parts that break easily. Even a step by step video guide isn't a guarantee of success.

I've taken laptops apart before without the benefit of a YouTube video. It's not particularly easy, and I've lost a few screws and broken a few parts. There's a reason people actually charge money for the service.

7. luukki123

luukki123 Thread Starter

Well, at least one thing is sure, i wont ever EVER buy a HP laptop, they overheat like hell.

Since i'm probably gonna do it, do i just wipe the heatsink with a towel to clean it? also can i put some thermal grease on my gpu too?

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No and no.

At this point I would suggest you not try to take it apart. You don't wipe a processor with a towel, and there probably isn't even a separate GPU let alone a removable one with a heat sink. I think you may be in over your heard.

All cheap laptops overheat to some level.

9. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Here is a link to PDF file for an HP Pavilion dv7 Entertainment PC Maintenance and Service Guide:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01815884.pdf

It has instructions for opening up the computer and accessing and replacing every main part. You may want to see if the product illustrations match up to your particular model.

EDIT: It may also give you a very good idea if you even want to try opening it up.

10. luukki123

luukki123 Thread Starter

Thanks. I gonna take a look at it and and see what ive got

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice