1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

taking away digital grains

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by remaja, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

I am trying to take birds pictures in the evening "dusk". and here's the challenge.

I am using a nikon d40 with a 300mm lens. if I were to take evening shots, I would need a big aperture and a fast Shutter speed due to moving objects which in this case a bird. (i will be using a tripod)

yet I can't have a f3.5 or f5.6 since every movement might get my subject out of the focus area. and I will get under exposure problems even if I am using a f5.6. and Setting my ISO too high will give me problems with grains.

how do I work around this situation? can I remove the grain somehow yet use a high ISO?
    I am sure there's a technique out there. but is a there a way that is best not to require much of an $$ investment?
    I am not a big expert in digital photography.

2. slipe

slipe

The Neat Image demo doesn’t expire and is considered freeware for personal use. It is one of the better noise reduction programs. There are probably limitations to the demo, but you can see if it does what you need: http://www.neatimage.com/download.html

3. buck52

buck52 Banned

"I am trying to take birds pictures in the evening "dusk". "

may I be blunt... forget it... atleast without a flashgun...

"I would need a big aperture and a fast Shutter speed due to moving objects which in this case a bird. (i will be using a tripod) "

If you can use a fast shutter speed you don't need a tripod... bird/ photography 101...

You need to do a little reading

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy again

Post a picture that you are unhappy with along with the exif data

if you have not figured it out already... 300mm handheld is very difficult without VR or IS .... tripod cures that... but then any subject movement is blured...
    "I am sure there's a technique out there. but is a there a way that is best not to require much of an $$ investment?
    I am not a big expert in digital photography."

There is not a" be all end all" technique for your situation that I have seen...

Taking pictures of birds at dusk is problematic at best...
    You can't shoot at dusk/dark...you realy need to post a picture or your idea of "dusk"... at a high enough shutter speed , at any aperture setting, to get quality images...even at a very high ISO

slipes suggestion of Neat Image is a good one

5. linskyjack

linskyjack

I use Neat Image and it does one heck of a job.

6. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

I don't get your 1st post buck. what does shutter fast shutter speed has anything to do with tripod?
    sorry If you get confused by my english. it's not my prime language. I just put the tripod there as an extra information. I know that you don't need it. but I cant holding my DSLR throughout the whole day waiting for a bird on my hands.

anyway...

I haven't try taking the photos yet at least not until the end of next week. there will be a spot in a park with a bird house to attract the birds. for now, I have tried a few moving subjects during the afternoon. definitely not easy at all. I will try the software that you recommended thank you.

I do want to know about photoshop though. I see that the software has a noise remover. can I use that alone? will I get the same amount of quality?

7. linskyjack

linskyjack

A fast shutter speed allows you to capture motion--and if fast enough, you don't need the tripod. Whereas a slow shutter speed requires a stable platform for the camera.

8. buck52

buck52 Banned

In most...but not all... cases, a fast shutter speed eliminates the need for a tripod to capture, not stop motion.... different subject...

"Whereas a slow shutter speed requires a stable platform for the camera." but will not stop the motion/blur...

9. linskyjack

linskyjack

I stand corrected-----I meant to say that a tripod lets you shoot at a lower shutter speed and thus you don't need as much light.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/550338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice