1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Taking Backups/Images and Restoring Advice

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by always-learning, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. always-learning

always-learning Thread Starter

Hello,
    Operating System: Windows 7 64 Bit , Drives: SSD C: and 2x 1 tb internal drives labelled as D: and E:, and a 4 TB NAS Drive

I am looking to wipe my SSD hard drive with my programmes on and have a load of questions regarding backups and restoring and creating images etc.

1. If I install a piece of software to take an image of my C: won't that software also take an image of itself?
    2. What piece of software (ideally open source- but this is not overly important - is best to take a full image of my hard drive)
    3. Once I have taken an image what is the best way to properly clean and wipe my hard drive as I have been having errors etc.
    4. If I do a fresh Windows 7 install (I have the discs) what is the best way to take a snapshot of the fresh install before I connect to the internet etc. Is there a portable piece of software I can run from a USB stick?
    5. In the future if I want to go back to this place in time i.e. the fresh Windows install image but if the best way to restore it and ensure my hard drive it formatted properly.
    6. For day to day use what is the best way to fully backup a C: so if a disaster happens I can restore the latest operating system etc.
    7. How can I view an old backup without doing a image restore - i.e. take an image of a drive and view in on a NAS drive so I can access one or two files I might have forgotten about.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I am trying to understand processes for full disaster management solutions.

Hope someone can help guide me.

Cheers

2. raybro

raybro

I just finished installing my first SSD on my computer. The process of transferring the content of the original hard drive to the SSD was quite a learning experience.

Click here for a comprehensive list of do's and don'ts for SSD. There are some clear differences in how you use, operate and maintain them as opposed to a standard hard disk drives.

I installed an Intel X25-M, 160GB SSD on my Win 8 Dell laptop and the difference in performance is nothing short of amazing. I had some difficulty transferring the original drive content from the original 1TB hard drive. The process was complicated by the fact Win 8 uses UEFI boot management rather than the traditional BIOS, but once it was done, the effort was well worth it. (y)

I used Acronis True Image to create a full backup image of the original hard drive and then recovered the image to the SSD. Worked like a charm once I figured out how to do it. The image included the Dell recovery partition, diagnostics partition and the EFI (related to the UEFI Boot manager). Sounds more complicated than is was.

If you are interested in more details, post back with questions and I'll do my best to help when I can. Just remember, this is all somewhat new to me too. Most of what I learned came from some degree of trial and error along with a LOT of Google searches. Google is your best friend.

Good luck... :)

3. always-learning

always-learning Thread Starter

I keep finding loads of reviews and recommendations and it's hard to pick software. My concern is more HOW to do things and in what order. Ideally I want to take a full image of the current C: and put it in nice readable/browser files I can use Windows Explorer to browse in the future. Also I want a clean backup of the first reinstall ideally without the clone/image software on the image backup so considering using a stick to run the software from... I've look on portable apps but can't find anything at the moment..... I assume this is such a common issue that there would be one piece of software (paid or open source) that would keep corrupting up and getting mentioned but alas this does not seem to be the case.

4. t bone

t bone

check out the free version of macrium reflect
    it works very well, i've never had a prob. with it
    alot of peps use it

there's some other free ones here on this page with descriptions of what they do

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!