1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Taking data off harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starchild, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I asked this a few weeks ago, elsewhere (not sure now where) about transferring data from one computer to a new one.

I was told to take out the OLD hd, unplug the cd-rom of the new computer, plug the old hd into this plug, and save the info from it onto the new hd.

I didn't have the new computer at the time (and it's not mine, it's someone else's I'm helping with it. She doesn't want me taking her new computer apart to do this :)

The basic question about this (now) is.... I can take her old computer, take the hd out, put it in MY computer, plugging it in instead of the CDROM (which is my E drive) then burn the files from this onto a CD using my CD burner which is my D drive?

Before I take my pc case off I wanted to check and see if I have this right. The CD Rom plug will fit on the HD and it will turn the HD (from old computer) into the E drive- to take the files and folders from?

(It amazes me that I can talk computer :)

What we were trying to do is zip the folders and send them to her mail, but for some reason the "zip and email" option doesn't come up on her setup.

So, I remembred the plugging in the hd where the CD ROM goes idea.

I have WIN 98SE and the old hd is WIN 98 (if that matters in this)

Also, for whoever did the Halloween decorations, I love the logo!)

Thanks,

Carrie

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The old HDD does use the same connections as the CD drive.

BUT

The CD will probably be connected as a Slave drive, and the old HDD will certainly be a Master if it was the boot drive. Therefore you need to set the jumpers from Master (possibly no jumpers) to Slave on the back of the drive. A key to where they go should be on the drive label. All brands tend to be different as to the settings, there is no standard way.

3. Scooter D

Scooter D

kiwiguy is correct

4. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Okay, but the connector plug will fit in the back?

I haven't done enough cd Roms and hardrivers to know about this. I suppose I could look at some of the ones I have (spares) here and see :)

I don't need it right now after all.

The new computer (actually a refurbished DELL) didn't work right. My daughter had bought it, because the one she is using didn't work good , and she does online college classes so needs a decent one.

The DELL one (that came today- not from DELL but a company in Canada) looked good, but the mouse and keyboard plugs didn't work right. Even when plugged in tight and correctly it would say they weren't detected and WIN wouldn't load. If wiggled the plug around and got it a certain way, it would work. But, turning the computer around, would stop it working again. Aside from that, it wouldn't detect the modem.

I called and talked to the company (since I know more about computers) and was told they are shipped with high speed modems, for DSL (and he indicated that all DELLS come with this- not set up for dialup!) I would have had to put in a dialup modem, myself. I could have done this, but the keyboard and mouse plugs were a problem (the keyboard and mouse, which looked like new came with it. It did the same thing with the old ones, so was the plugs in the back of the pc at fault)

They gave me a tech support number, I called two different times and after waiting on hold 20 mins got a voice mail to leave a message.

Finally called the company and asked if it could be sent back. I didn't know what tech support could do about the plugs. Was told they will arrange for UPS to come pick it up (no cost to us) and give us the money back.

Hopefully, this will happen. If it doesn't, I'll give you the name of the company. But, so far, except for it not working (after all that) they seem willing to make it right.

It was $244 in all, with a 3 year service contract. 20 gb hd and pentium3 (even had 2 fans :) Though it only had 128 RAM (she only planned to use it for her college classes) That was just for the tower, free shipping (included) and 3 year warranty (that was $34 of that price).

Not sure what my daughter is going to do, we live in a rural area without a lot of used or renovated computers. The one she's now using was given to me, and I fixed it up for her a few years ago. (after we decided to send the new one back, I put another CD ROM and A drive in, I had here to see if that helps) Maybe she will just keep that one, but had been excited about one that worked better.

Anyone know of anyplace legit online that sells them in that price range?

Thanks,
    Carrie

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/289854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice