1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

taking hard drive off system boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by edgar818, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edgar818

edgar818 Thread Starter

Currently i have 2 hard drives on my system. One of them has windows installed the other one does not. When i disconnect the one without windows, it does not let me boot and says insert system boot. How can i take off the hard drive without xp.

2. warlord

warlord

my only suggestion is that when windows was installed it was installed on the drive that you are trying to remove. now i dont know if you built this computer or if you were the one who installed windows on it but it seems like the only reason.

however it could be your bios. try going in there first and seeing what the boot priority is make sure it goes the the right hard drive first

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds like the MBR was written to the second drive.

Remove the second drive and boot from the XP CD. Choose "R" for "repair".

fixboot

and then:

fixmbr

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice