Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tampered internet, DNS not responding! Please help! :D

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
I have a crazy room mate who has a networking degree and he has done something to my comcast cable before going on vacation!

*Insert angry face here* (We have had a stupid feud the past month, long story, lease expires in 6 months)

I could have a cable man come but I don't know that it's a cable issue strictly (and not a comp. issue), I don't have a 12

hour window ANY day of the week working two jobs, and, frankly, you guys seem to know much more than a cable guy :D

So I would MUCH MUCH appreciate your help.

OK SO...
He seems to have set his backdoor programming to a timed schedule, much to my dismay, right about the time I get home from

work until when I go to bed, EVERY DAY. So about 4-6pm until about 12-2am.
I don't know if that information helps.

The modem AND the cable tv are both affected as though the coaxial cable is physically unplugged. (I know this because I've

unplugged the coaxial cable to both my cable amplifier thingy next to the tv and the coaxial to my modem when they were

working to see what the lights did)
But I also know that nobody is physically unplugging it.

I have tried numerous resets and different normal troubleshooting and I assure you, this isn't a normal case of the tech-

noob.

The front of my motorola modem shows the power light on green, the pc activity light on orange (at least when my routers

plugged in) but the recieve light blinks green very slowly like 2-3 seconds on, 2-3 seconds off.
The send light and the online light both are not on.

Also, another weird thing is that while my digital cable tv doesnt work (its hooked up to a dct700 Digital Consumer Terminal

from motorola) I have a non-digital connection that works while both the internet and digital cable dont work.

What I really don't get is that I'm both sending and recieving packets when I click properties on either the wireless when

I'm trying to access the internet through that and the hard wire LAN ethernet connection; this is when I click on properties

for network adapters.

When I checked the vista desktop plugged into the router with an ethernet cord, it gave me a dns server error when I ran the

automatic netowork diagnostics

"Cannot communicate with the primary DNS server (68.87.69.150)
Netowork diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not recieve a response"

I ran an ipconfig /all with:
1) my computer wireless from the router,
2) My desktop wired into the router
3) My laptop wired into the router
4) My laptop wired into the MODEM directly.

I reset it dozens of times each time waiting plenty of time at least 30 mins. unplugged coax then unplugged modem power

waited 30 mins, unplugged power then unplugged coax, and the other two combinations of turning it back on (coax first then

power and power first then coax)

There is def. some things I forgot to mention (as I tinkered for hours) and I apologize if me doing so wastes anyone's time
I don't know where to go from here.

HELPPP! PLEASE! :D
Sincereley, David Timmis

_________________________________________________________________________________
IPCONFIG /ALL WITH NORMAL SETTINGS (before tinkering) (Connected to the modem)

C:\Users\DT>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DT-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Fast Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-16-1E-73-7A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9878:5b86:1005:bc44%2(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.11(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 5:17:19 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 5:24:02 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 251666198
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-3B-A9-43-00-1F-16-1E-73-7A

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{FFED9960-6776-433E-AF14-645EB75AE9F1}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
_________________________________________________________________________________

IPCONFIG /ALL WHEN I DISABLED IPv6 and SET THE DNS MANUALLY TO THE 2nd LISTED PRIMARY ONE. (I have no idea lol)(Connected to

the modem)

C:\Users\DT>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DT-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Fast Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-16-1E-73-7A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.11(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 5:17:19 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 5:17:39 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.85.102
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter isatap.{FFED9960-6776-433E-AF14-645EB75AE9F1}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

See less See more
#2 ·
call your cable company. You have a signal issue or wiring issue. I know this because:

The modem AND the cable tv are both affected
The front of my motorola modem shows the power light on green, the pc activity light on orange (at least when my routers plugged in) but the recieve light blinks green very slowly like 2-3 seconds on, 2-3 seconds off.
The send light and the online light both are not on.
Plus the fact I work for a cable internet company :D That is a signal issue and needs a service call.

As to this:

What I really don't get is that I'm both sending and recieving packets when I click properties on either the wireless when I'm trying to access the internet through that and the hard wire LAN ethernet connection; this is when I click on properties for network adapters.
It sounds like your modem is also a router. The packets sent and received is from your connection to the router not to the internet. So you would have data traffic as well as an 'connected' state.

Get the cable guy out there. If they tell you any different they are lying.

#4 ·
Trace the coax from the TV and the coax from the modem back to where they meet (which should be a 2-way splitter just after the main cable enters the residence). If your roommate did anything he must have connected some device between there and the coax cable that is owned by the company. If you find something you can probably just remove it.

I am using exactly the same symptoms and logic as Couriant but allowing for the possibility of foul play.

#5 ·
it sounds like you def. know what ur talking about, but is there a fix to reverse what this *** did? If he did someting there's obviously a reversal.

besides i seriously dont have a day off for 2+ weeks
The cable company maybe able to send a tech to check the outside, otherwise you should be able to get them to schedule a time that you are in there or at very least you should be able to have someone else housesit, as long they are over 18.

also make sure with them that he hasn't put a disconnect order for the location. If he did that would also explain the symptoms.

#6 ·
Trace the coax from the TV and the coax from the modem back to where they meet (which should be a 2-way splitter just after the main cable enters the residence). If your roommate did anything he must have connected some device between there and the coax cable that is owned by the company. If you find something you can probably just remove it.

I am using exactly the same symptoms and logic as Couriant but allowing for the possibility of foul play.
Other than a physical disconnection, this would be the other logical explaination if it was not a signal issue.

#7 ·
Oops! I definately wasn't clear enough. The internet will display these symptoms until a certain time each day, literally every day since he left. (bout 5-6 days) Then when I wake up, it is still like that but now upon a reset with unplugging the coax and the power from the modem it immediately returns to normal.

Here is the repeating error I get from the modem.

My service has not been cancelled. I am paying the cable bill and it is my modem, he pays for some other things we have arranged.

1970-01-01 01:52:53 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 01:52:51 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 01:52:51 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 01:52:49 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 01:52:48 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 01:52:14 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 01:52:14 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
1970-01-01 01:52:13 3-Critical T002.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
1970-01-01 01:52:13 3-Critical T001.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing

2010-12-21 07:16:58 6-Notice E112.0 SW download Successful - Via Config file
2010-12-21 07:15:47 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb5100_silver_c01.cm
1970-01-01 01:52:58 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Those too, they werent the ones repeating last night but they were the most recent, and im not sure if they're relevant

#8 ·

I will do this, I may have trouble finding it tho. ty

#10 ·
You mean by hacking into your cable company's computer and programming it to block your TV and internet access? I suppose it's possible.

What is the "cable amplifier thingy next to the tv"? Is it actually a cable box that maybe has parental controls that can be set to block the TV (and maybe internet)?

#11 ·
ah ok, yeah it does seem to need to be a hardware issue, because comcast had no idea why it was occuring, but I cant get a cable man out here for 10 or so days.

it is a DCT700 from motorola
Phase: 2
Platform ID: 107

The internet coax goes directly into the wall and the tv coax does as well.
Should I try to follow the tv coaxial to the back of the tv (theres a ton of stuff back there, its doable but I'd have to know it was necessary)

Or would this device be closer to where the cable enters the house like directly inside, before it splits?
or do you think the device (assuming there's one and its not just parental control settings on the dct keeping me from the internet too) would be like in some crawl spawn or something?
This guy would actually go to these lengths

Also my cable tv doesnt say blocked, it simply shows:
One moment please
This channel should be available shortly.
Ref code: s0a00

thanks for any input :D
seriously though, MUCH appreciated.

#12 ·
I don't know your exact environment, and could be misunderstanding some things. So, I hope I'm not just sending you off on a wild goose chase.

I glanced through the User Guide and Installation Guide for the DCT700 set-top box and saw nothing about any parental control type stuff. The Installation Guide gives troubleshooting tips and diagnostic codes, which are probably more relevant than whatever the TV is saying.

My cable service (coax) connects to ground and to my cable on the outside of the house. A few feet after my cable enters my basement is a two way splitter. One side of that leads upstairs to my modem. The other side is further split to feed various outlets for TVs throughout the house. If somebody were going to insert some kind of timer to prevent me from getting TV and internet service at certain times of the day I assume that device would have to be in that short stretch between the cable company's cable and the first splitter in my basement.

So, where does your service enter your residence? If it's to a crawl space, good luck. But if the guy did install something it will probably be something you can see with a flashlight w/o crawling around there. Hopefully.

#13 ·
The internet coax goes directly into the wall and the tv coax does as well.

<snip>

Also my cable tv doesnt say blocked, it simply shows:
One moment please
This channel should be available shortly.
Ref code: s0a00
Sounds like a signal issue to me. It very well may be concienidental it happened when he left, but chances of him doing something on a timer is very rare at best. Since you are going directly to the wall, there should be a box in the house or like mentioned outside. Other than a splitter, there should be nothing connected. If that is the case, then the tech will need to be called in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.