1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tantalisingly close to installing printer!?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by KrashedKris, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrashedKris

KrashedKris Thread Starter

Hi folks, I'd be very grateful for any help with a Canon MP150 printer install on a friend's Win98 SE machine.

There are no problems with the printer itself as it works fine on other pcs.

I downloaded and ran the appropriate printer installation software and the install appears to run smoothly and ends with a "complete" prompt to connect and switch on the printer.

When I do this, the "New hardware found" wizard pops up and starts to install new drivers etc - then after a while hangs and gives the error message "The printer driver required for this printer could not be installed."

I've tried a number of restarts and repeats, and also used a "DelDrv" utility supplied with the installation software to remove all MP150 drivers before re-trying the process - same result.

So now I don't really know what to try - there don't appear to be any other "major" problems with this machine and I've recently successfully installed other hardware and software on it.

I ran System File Checker and it found setupx.dll, mfcuia32.dll, mfc30.dll, mfcans32.dll and mfco30.dll corrupted. I attempted to replace these by renaming to old and inserting clean versions extracted from the CAB files, however SFC still returns the same result. I'm not sure if these dlls are in any way implicated in the printer install problem though.

Another possibility for the culprit/s are previous McAfee and Norton AV installs which brought the machine to a halt and were hard to remove - lots of registry cleaning etc was required. I've vaguely heard of a "Spool32 error" which may be implicated but again I'm not sure.

Any ideas gratefully received :)

2. fatbobthefirst

fatbobthefirst

Now this is for a HP printer. But you may want to look into some of this stuff.
    It may or may not help.

A. Removing entries from Add/Remove programs.
    B. Removing entries from Printers and Faxes folder.
    C. Removing entries from Registry.
    D. Removing folders from C:\Windows

A. Add/Remove Programs:
    =======================
    1. Click Start, Control Panel and double-click Add/Remove Programs. 2. If there is an entry relating to one of the printers, select it, then click Change/Remove.
    3. Follow the dialog and "uninstall all" or "remove all" as appropriate.

Some "printer software" have programs that show up here and it will be a good idea to remove those before going any further.

B. Printers Folder:
    ===================
    1. Click Start, Control Panel and double-click Printers and Faxes. 2. Delete all the Printers available, by right-click and selecting
    "delete" option.
    3. Click File menu and select Server Properties.
    4. Select the Drivers tab.
    5. For each entry, select the entry and click Remove.

C. Windows Registry:
    ====================

Before modifying registry, take a backup of it.

1. Click Start and click on Run.
    2. Type Regedit and from File menu, click on Export Registry. 3. Select "All" option for backing up every key of registry. 4. Give a destination file (say Regbackup) and save it on to the
    Desktop.
    5. Now, click "+" beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM
    6. Click "+" beside CurrentControlSet
    7. Click "+" beside Control
    8. Click "+" beside Print
    9. Click "+" beside Environments
    10. Click "+" beside Windows NT x86
    11. Click "+" beside Drivers
    12. Under this key, there will be the keys Version-2 and Version-3 (some may be absent, which is normal) 13. Click on each Version key to find contents in the right-window pane. 14. Delete all the sub-keys inside Version-2 and Version-3, but not
    these keys themselves.
    15. From File menu, click exit.

D. Deleting Folders:
    ====================
    1. Click Start, Run and type "cmd" (without quotes).
    2. Key-in the following commands:

net stop spooler
    net start spooler

3. Type exit.
    4. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to:

%systemroot%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

NOTE: %systemroot% is usually C:\Windows, but it might be "winnt" or
    something else; this is set when the OS is installed.

5. Inside w32x86, there will be folders with the names 2 and 3 (some may be absent, which is normal) 6. Delete all of the files and sub-folders in each of the 2 and 3
    folders, but not the folders themselves.
    7. Inside w32x86, there may be other folders with names starting with
    "hewlett_packard", "hphp" or something else; delete these folders also. 8. Restart the print spooler (as in 2nd step, above) 9. Restart the computer.

At this point, the system should be pretty well back to the way it was
    before any printers were installed. The printing subsystem is then
    "clean" and ready for printers to be added using printer drivers.
    Install the all-in-one software, now.

3. KrashedKris

KrashedKris Thread Starter

Hi fatbobthefirst and thank you very much for your advice - very nice and clear step-by-step instructions which I'll try on my friend's pc at the first chance I get!

I'll post back and let you know how it goes - many thanks again (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice