1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TAP driver installation failed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by reedtheswed, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reedtheswed

reedtheswed Thread Starter

While trying to downlaod a tethering program i get this fault. "TAP driver installation failed." Ive been back and forth with the developer of the program and have come up with nothing. Ive done some googling and this has been a problem with XP/Vista, but i havent come across anything with 7. i dont know what to do. i know i can completely restore the OS, but would prefer a route less difficult. ANY help would be great!!!! Also, this happened with openvpn and other prograqms during installation.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is it a Windows 7 driver? Vista has the same kernel and not at all like XP, so any problem in Vista will also be a problem in 7.

3. reedtheswed

Yes, its a Windows 7 driver. I've seen similar problems online saying its a registry problem. Supposedly a program has been deleted and it took something with it it shouldnt have. "RunOnce" is still in my registry, so we can rule that one out. IVe tried a system restore from a previous date and it only allows me to go back 1 week. Iv e had this problem for months and have only recently tried to figure out whats wrong with it. anything i can do to help you help me?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you know what installer the problem programs use? Sometimes the tooltip yeels you, or the details in Properties, or the first screen when you start the installation.

What exactly happens when you attempt one of these installations? If there is an error screen, can you get more data from a dropdown window?

Have you used any registry cleaner, "optimizer", or other tweaking program that could have caused damage?

5. reedtheswed

This is what happens:

Output folder: C:\Program Files (x86)|Faveset Klink
    Extract: OemWin2ik.inf
    Extract: tapinstall.exe
    Extract: tapklink.sys
    Extract: tapklink.cat
    Device node created. Install is complete when drivers are installed.....
    Updating drivers for tapklink from C:\Program Files (x86)\Faveset Klink\oemwin2k.inf.
    tapinstall failed.
    No devices were removed.
    Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Faveset Klink\OemWin2k.inf
    Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Faveset Klink\tapinstall.exe
    Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Faveset Klink\tapklink.sys
    Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Faveset Klink\tapklink.cat
    TAP driver installation failed. Run as administrator, and try again.

Ive tried running it as administrator, and tried it in safe mode. I havent used any registry cleaner, optimizer, or attempted to tweak anything. I try my hardest to not do anything that would land me in a situation like this. lol. This help any? Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice