Tape Drive media question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mklangelo

Banned
I'm considering buying a tape drive for my home computer lab. What is the most common type of media(format of tape) I'm likely to run into in a production environment in order to familiarize myself with running/restoring different backup types?

Or better yet, can someone recommend unit that is not too pricey and offers good features?

Thanks in advance. (y)

Honestly, for the "home enthusiast" I can not see a need for Tape as a backup media. Personally, I use HD backup. A large HD is so cheap now....as with external enclosures, that the speed (slowness) of tape is not worth it.

Reconsider your options!

Mklangelo

Banned
Thanks for the reply Bob,

The thing is, I just wanted to familiarize myself with the most common type of Tape Drive out there, to get used to working with Media Pools and managing backups, planning strategies,organizing backups etc... I do have an 80G USB HDD that I use for my backups. I'm working on my MCSA and in most of the questions concerning the use of ntbackup, I'm reading about Tape backups.

:D :D

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
For use in a commercial environment, most tape backups are SCSI based units. They're not cheap! :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online