Tape Mod for lga 775 cpu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

amaidesu123

Hello! I have seen online that for oem motherboards that you can not overclock the cpu with you could place tape at certain pins to boost the fsb of the cpu of 1066 to 1333. I want to do this but does it matter what kind of tape I use? Can i use regular scotch tape?

crjdriver

First of all, give up on the idea of ever overclocking a dell, hp, or other big box system; just not going to work. Reason is that oem type motherboards just do not have the heavy duty components required to overclock ie heavy duty voltage regulators, heavy duty capacitors, better northbridge cooling, etc. In addition, oem systems do not have a high quality pw supply necessary for overclocking.
OEM systems are fine for what they are designed to do; run office, internet access, etc however NOT overclocking. We must have over 3000 dell systems at work and they do a fine job for what we use them to do however I would NEVER attempt to overclock one of them.

To answer your question, it depends on what exact motherboard you have. Some boards do use a jumper to set FSB speed and that will overclock some processors. You need to understand that doing this also overclocks the ram, hard drives, video card, and anything else dependent on the fsb.
There are software programs that will also overclock some oem systems.
IMO both of the above are less than useless.

Last edited:
Something else, even if you were able to over clock the CPU, the motherboard bios may not recognize it and refuse to boot. It is easier to buy a 775 on eBay , they are cheap now. I picked up an already Modified Xeon Quad E5472 3GHz FSB1600 to fit 775 board from china for $16

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online