1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tape to DVD Recorder to PC?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by KaIIen, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Right now, this is the best and only option available to me for getting home video to my PC. Problem is, I am not sure the best or correct way to get the video back off the disk onto my PC for editing. Along these lines, are there any freeware or opensource programs that would be good for basic editing?
    Thank you!!!

2. tat2

tat2

Well KaIIen,
    Your dreams have become a reality, but now the nightmares begin.
    I am in the exact situation you are basically and here is what I found:
    "…to get the video back off the disk onto my PC for editing"
    Don't know if it's the best or the correct way but I'm playing with it.

DVDFab Decrypter

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/DVDFab-Decrypter.shtml

"…basic editing"

Well I'm playing with this too. They want you to give them the usual info, name, address, phone which I just made up but you need a real email address so they can send you a free serial number and activation code in order to open the program. It looks a bit frightening to me but they also have about a dozen free video tutorials to explain the basics. The rest is trial and error so use back up vids. I'm also playing around with Windoze Movie Maker; after you get the hang of it its real simple just no real good bells and whistles.

Avid Free DV

http://www.avid.com/freedv/

So that's about the best I can do for you now. Send me a private message by clicking on my user name with your thoughts and findings maybe we can help each other out. Maybe even those who are afraid to ask.
    Art

3. bonk

bonk Banned

If you want quality and that is the name of the game here...I do not know of any programs free that are reliable and give quality results.........Maybe not looking in the right places

I use a bought unit that changes the format that my PC can handle and then use a editing program for changing things and Burning to DVD

The end results are playable on most DVD players and are excellent quality....I guess you get what you pay for, in some instances I guess.

4. tat2

tat2

Got any clues to the names of the "unit" that KaIIen and I might purchase? Sounds to me, I could be wrong of course, but KaIIen, like myself have VHS tapes and a DVD burner. Last I checked there are no PCs/LapTops that can handle VHS. At least not mine so I burn my home videos to VHS then burn them to the DVD's and my PC/LapTop can handle DVD's. Also could you enlighten us as to the name of the editing program you speak so highly of? Personally, I just want to cut out "junk" footage and maybe add a title and date. I don't want to become the next Spielberg so cost does play a large role for me anyway.
    Thanks for your input bonk!

5. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

Ok I have used Dazzle but found that at least the version I used a bit low quality so I change to DVDXpress which works well.

I would like to say that these 2 options are external ...the reason for this is I have a Laptop but there is no reason you cannot buy and internal Video capture card to fit inside your PC.

This would take care of Video tapes to digital format copied to you PC then you can just burn to DVD using say Nero

If you really want to add stuff and personalize it you can use Video editing programs.....how much you want to manipilate them will be how much money you want tp spend.......there is Ulead and Pinncale are just a couple

6. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

No replies for over a month, I figured no one would ever reply to this thread... :)

In the meantime, I borrowed an external unit DVD Xpress. It comes with Ulead video editing software. Connects to USB2. I have to say, the results are great, and the software has some nice features. The software could be slightly friendlier, but it's not bad. The unit currently sells at Walmart for $79. I'll probably purchase my own now that I played with one.
    Another way I tried tat2 was once I had the video recorded to disk, put the disk in my PC and used the capture feature in the Roxio software. The quality was poor going this way, but at least it DID the video onto my PC in an editable format. But I didn't go that route just because the qality wasn't there.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice