1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tapes will not stay in Tape Drive??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stomp, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

One of our servers has a Sony tape drive used for back up and for some reason the thing kicks out tapes randomly. Sometimes it take five or six times before it will stay in. Other times the first time it works. But the worst is in the middle of the night when no ones around to see it and push it back. Any ides how to fix it?

2. valis

valis Moderator

have you cleaned the heads recently?

3. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

Yes a bunch of times. Could I have a bad cleaning tape?

4. valis

valis Moderator

could be. Try swapping out to a new cleaning tape to at least eliminate that.

5. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

Only view from years of experience of TBU's is to try a new tape.

If the TBU still "spits" out the tape then I feel you have no choice but to scrap the drive..

You could consider SATA drives, using a SATA control card which has a rear connector to connect an external drive.

I've used TBU's for years and still use one occasionally in one machine.

A potentially very good solution I would seriously look at these days is to use additional IDE hard drives in removable hard drive caddies and a carrier.

Use a program such as Ghost or Acronis True Image to make an image of the C: drive to a hard drive in the removable caddy.

Rotate the drives as necessary on and off site. Probably a great deal more reliable than a TBU.

hth

Ceri

6. stomp

stomp Thread Starter

You use a HD as a nightly back up? So you Ghost the drive and bring it off site every night? Is this more common then Tape Back ups? Did I miss something?

7. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

No, I've obviously not made myself clear enough.

I use Ghost and True Image to image to separate drives and partitions.

Plus XP backup to an external USB drive and a network drive.

It just strikes me that with HD prices coming down a lot

They must now present a viable, faster and possibley more reliable alternative to using a tape drive.

With removable drive caddies, you could store a drive off site, or in a small fire safe.

Only a suggestion.

Ceri

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice