1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Task Manager - Processes

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by don1949, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. don1949

don1949 Thread Starter

When I look in the Processes section of Task Manager I see a long list of only two of which are not tagged with my user name. Three things;

1. Is this list the same as the list of programs in the Uninstall facility within Control
    panel?

2. Does the term, "Process, "in this context have the same meaning as the term, "Program?"

3. How can I best decide which Processes I can close without affecting the OS?​

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

1. No

2. sometimes, a program running can be a process, but a process is not always a program.

3. Google search the "image name" to help you discover what it is.

4. not wise to terminate process unless you know what you are doing

in task manager click "view" and then "select columns", then tick only the following

PID
    User Name
    CPU usage
    Memory-private working set
    Image path name
    command line
    Description

hit OK

I use image path name to see where the process is originating from, this gives an indication if it is a installed program or not, depending on what directory it starts from, ie Program files directory.

Usually anything running from the Windows or Windows/system32 folder is a windows process, but not always, some malware and nasties run from these folders also, that is why you can Google the "image path name" to help you learn more.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/846632