1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Task Manager - Shutting down processes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by av8ur, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. av8ur

av8ur Thread Starter

I recently had to reinstall WinXP, everything is good there. But, now if I attempt to shut down processes in Task Manager (specifically those related to Norton SystemWorks), it will not allow it. It's always worked before.

Does anyone know a quick setting change to allow this again? thanks for any help.

2. NorskVind

NorskVind

To be honest with you pal, doin this in the first place is not a very good idea. If you really dislike the program running on your computer, simply uninstall it.

3. av8ur

av8ur Thread Starter

Well, gee, that was extremely helpful. I would've expected more from a so called "Advanced" member. Did you ever think to yourself that there may be a 'certain' time in your computer experience where you may just need to temporarily shut down a process?

Is there anyone out there that has an honest answer out there? I've always had such good luck in the past. And Norsk, don't bother again, thanks anyway.

4. NorskVind

NorskVind

Well, that wasn't very nice :( Just trying to give some sort of a hand. Maybe.. you should go screw yourself?

5. NorskVind

NorskVind

And, if your computer can't run Norton, just throw it away, I'll buy you a new one.

6. stantley

stantley

Norton probably has several processes that are interdependent, so might stop a process and another process might start it up again. So you have to find out the order in which to shut them down and about the only way to do that is trial and error. Try and shut down the 'Master' process first and then the others.

7. av8ur

av8ur Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Stantley. I thought the same thing, but in the past few years running SystemWorks, it's always allowed me to shut down the individual processes, in any order I choose. On this most recent install, all of a sudden they won't close out. It's most likely one of the services that needs to be disabled, I just haven't figured out which one. I'll keep trying though, thanks again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/513749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice