1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Task manager unable to quit any processes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by daonly1, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daonly1

daonly1 Thread Starter

Hi

A few days ago...well... more like a few weeks ago my task manager would not be able to kill any processes. When I try to quit a process it says:

"Operation could not be completed. Access is denied."

Now i don't know what to do. I tried to search for a solution but i didnt find one.

Now I've been having this other problem. My computer has been slowing down a lot. Not too slow but slow enough to be annoying.
    Also there is this other problem. Whenever I try to run a program that uses a lot of CPU or RAM the computer shuts down by itself. No warnings. No nothing. Just shuts down. Then when I turn it back on it WON'T turn on. What I mean is that when I try to turn it back On, the PC will turn on but the fan won't turn on and the monitor won't either.

Well that about sums up all the Problem's I've been having.
    Let me list them out again.
    1. The task manager problem
    2. The slowing down problem
    3. The unexpected computer turning off when i use a heavy program. Example is: Nero, Video Converter etc.

I hope you guys can help.

I have been told to get a new PC but I think I can do with this one for 1 more year.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    Compaq Presario 061 RE476AA-ABA SR2050NX NA680
    X86-based PC
    Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2799 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 3.24, 1/18/2007
    Windows Directory D:\WINDOWS
    System Directory D:\WINDOWS\system32
    Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 321.36 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.26 GB

Thanks!

2. Irukku

Irukku

It has to do with your user privileges. Try to login as "Administrator", run your task manager as "Administrator" or grant privileges to your current user account.

If I just hadn't been forced to upgrade to Win7 I'd tell you exactly where to go to fix it. But if you don't manage to do it I'll look deeper into the issue. :p

3. huggie54

huggie54

why isn't the os on "c"

4. daonly1

daonly1 Thread Starter

I am logged in as administrator. But the problems persists.

This relates to a windows installation done a long time ago. I made 3 partitions and the biggest partition of 214Gb is the one where I installed XP Pro. Coincidentally that partition happened to be D:. Sorry if this is a problem.

5. daonly1

daonly1 Thread Starter

bump. I still need help

6. daonly1

daonly1 Thread Starter

I NEED Help. Please!!!
    Can ANYONE help me?
    Am I stuck with this forever?
    I don't know what to do.
    If this continues im probably going to throw my pc down the balcony and then run my car over it then burn it and laugh.
    This is a cry for HELP!!

7. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Not too sure i can help, but what where you trying to shut down via the task manager?

8. daonly1

daonly1 Thread Starter

I can't shut down anything!! If something stops responding I go to the task manager to stop it but it wont let me.

Also I think I found out why my computer just shuts down on me.
    I think it might be because my CPU temp is at 94 Celsius/203 Fahrenheit.
    My cpu fan speed is 4017 rpm
    my system fan speed is 2481 rpm

I think the cpu heat is shutting it down. I want to know how to stop it form getting so hot. Right now my main concern is the shutting down because the heat might damage the CPU. We can leave the task manager thing for later.
    My computer has 2 fans. 1 is on the heatsink which is on the CPU. The other is somewhere close.
    Now the fans seem to work.But i think the heatsink might not be doing its job.
    Any way to cool it down?

9. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

heat sink is a heat sink based on what I have dipped into with some older computers.... You make me worry now because my tower is inside my new desk and enclosed in a cabinet. Wow, i just opened the door to where my tower is and it is hot in there.

If you have the tech to check those stats given, wow!!! I wouldn't think that 203 fahrenheit is that hot for a cpu, but make sure it has room to breath!!!

10. daonly1

daonly1 Thread Starter

I took it out of there and unscrewed the heatsink and the fan with it. There was tons of dust over there. This was 43 minutes after I turned the computer off and the heatsink was HOT!
    I could barely touch it.
    After cleaning it up a bit and letting it cool down I put it back on the motherboard. For now it seems sound and healthy. It was even a little faster.
    I also have that same kind of cabinet in the desk thing and I guess that kind of played into makeing it hotter.
    I'll let you know if something happens.

11. daonly1

daonly1 Thread Starter

Ok so the computer shutting down is fixed now. But the task manager is still giving problems. How can I fix it? It there a fix I can download or something like that?
    I need help.

Let me list them out again.
    1. The task manager problem NOT DONE-I am still having problems here.
    2. The slowing down problem DONE-This problem is solved.
    3. The unexpected computer turning off when i use a heavy program. Example is: Nero, Video Converter etc. DONE-This problem is solved.

12. huggie54

huggie54

13. Irukku

Irukku

14. daonly1

daonly1 Thread Starter

I tried the first link and it didn't work.
    I'm gonna try the second one some time today.

I'll check it out. :)

The only 1

15. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try killing your processes from the command line:

Click Start > Run > type CMD

In the command prompt window, type taskkill /f /im <process name> /t

Press Enter.

Example:

taskkill /f /im iexplore.exe /t

The "t" is not essential. It will only kill the whole process tree (e.g. multiple instances of iexplore.exe when multiple Internet Explorer tabs are opened).

However, there is a good chance you'll still get an Access Denied error.

Please click HERE to download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice