1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Task Scheduler help please.

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by mritnoob, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mritnoob

mritnoob Thread Starter

I download a exe software called wuinstall.
    It's to help with windows patching automation. The program works great if I manually launch it via command line. "cd c:\wuinstall.exe /install /reboot"
    It goes out to our WSUS and grabs the updates, installs and reboots.

What I'm trying to do is run it via task scheduler but I'm unable to. The task runs but nothing really happens.

My settings.

General Tab -> User account "System"
    General Tab-> Configure for Windows Server 2012 R2

Actions Tab -> Program/script: -> c:\wuinstall.exe
    Actions Tab -> add agruments -> /install /reboot

I'm not any good with powershell or .bat files. This is pretty much my limitations. Would someone be able to help.

Thank you

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. fishscene

fishscene

I don't have access to a WSUS environment, but allow me to ask the dumb question:

When you double-click on the program, it is running with your user account, which I'm assuming is an AD account.

When you schedule the task, it looks like you are running it as "System" - which has no permissions to do anything on your domain. It is a local-to-that-computer-only account.
    For testing, try scheduling the task with your credentials and see if it works. If so, you may consider creating an account whose only purpose is to run this task :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!