1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Taskbar clock problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Paul K., Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paul K.

Paul K. Thread Starter

I am running ME, but had same problem with Win98. I have noticed my clock in taskbar only works for a few days after I have disconnected the power source. I tried several batteries but it does not help. I had upgraded memory form 32 to 64MB. I thought it was the new memory becuase the clock seemed to work after I removed the upgrade. I replaced the upgrade and clocked worked for about 3 days. I think it has something to do with when I disconnected the power to open the computer shell.

If it is my BIOS settings, what would I change to correct the configuration? I have no other problems with system that I know about. I have McAfee virus protection.

Thanks,

Paul K.

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Here is some info.

PC Real Time Clocks - Dependence on BIOS and Power

Every PC contains a Real Time Clock (RTC) implemented in the hardware. This clock runs continuously and provides time to the operating system clock when the computer is booted. The RTC runs off the same power source as the system BIOS.

The System BIOS has information saved in a little piece (64 bytes) of CMOS RAM . The CMOS power is supplied by a small battery, so its contents will not be lost after the PC is turned off. Therefore, there is a battery and a small RAM memory on board, which should never lose its information. The memory was in earlier times a part of the clock chip; now it's part of a highly integrated circuit . CMOS technology needs little power so the computer's battery is not in use much. Actually, there is not a battery on new boards, but an accumulator (Ni-Cad in most cases). It is recharged every time the computer is turned on. Some new motherboards have a technology called Dallas Nov-Ram which eliminates having an on-board battery as there is a 10 year lithium cell epoxyed directly in the chip.

If your BIOS is powered by external batteries, be sure that they are in good operating condition. Also, be sure that they do not leak - that may damage the motherboard and cause your BIOS to suddenly "forget" its configuration (and its time) and you may be looking for a problem elsewhere.

Clock on Taskbar and in Date/Time Tool Loses Time in Windows 95/98

Symptoms
    The clock on the taskbar and in the Date/Time tool in Control Panel may experience a loss of time.

Cause
    This problem can occur for either of the following reasons:

You change the year in the Date/Time tool. When you click a different year in the Date/Time Properties dialog box, the clock stops. When you click Apply or OK, the clock starts again, but it does not compensate for the length of time it was stopped.
    You change the month or date in the Date/Time tool. When you click a different month or date in the Date/Time Properties dialog box, the current time is decreased by 5 to 10 seconds. Over time, this can result in a significant time loss. This problem does not affect the clock in your computer's CMOS.
    Your computer battery is weak.
    Your CMOS computer clock is losing time.
    More information
    To determine if the time loss is a result of a weak computer battery, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to Programs, and then click MS-DOS Prompt.
    At the command prompt, type "time" (without quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
    Compare this time with the time reported by the clock on the taskbar.
    Type "exit" (without quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
    If the computer's time and time on the clock are not the same, your computer's battery may be too weak to keep accurate time, and it should be replaced. For information about how to replace your computer's battery, refer to the documentation included with your computer.

Synopsis of Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q189706 (August 24, 1998)

3. Paul K.

Paul K. Thread Starter

The battery is fine - it is equal to the dos time. How would I check to see if the memory chip associated with the battery is not working? Why would disconnecting my power source (AC) reset my motherboard into thinking that a new battery has been replaced?

Also, is there any new setting I should have to make when upgrading to a higher ram - in my case form 32 to 64. Are there specific memory chips (SIMS) which I need to upgrade properly.

I have not left the old memory out of computer long enough to see if this might be the problem. So you see, my clock does not loose time, it has no time. When I shut my computer off at 10:00 PM last night, it reads 10:00 PM when I booted up this morning. In other words, my computer is not recognizing my battery source - unless I disconnect my AC current.

Any further suggestions? Thanks

Paul K.

4. Paul K.

Paul K. Thread Starter

For those who might be interested, per last note, changing back to the 32MB ram has not remedied the situation. I am still experimenting but, so far disconnecting the main power to the computer tower seems to let the battery do its job. I am testing this for a few day, or until it craps out again. Other than this, I think it is a motherboard problem/chip associated with the battery. It seems with 35 readers of this thread, nobody has any theories, so it must be a localized problem within my system. Any help, though, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul K.

5. MACH2

MACH2

is this a laptop?

you might go into windows and disable api mode or bios and disable it there. depends on the system.

If you completely remove the portable batteries and you get a clock failure it's your cmos clock battery.

hope it helps.

6. Paul K.

Paul K. Thread Starter

Thanks,

Is is not a laptop. I have a 4 yrs old Inteva Microsystems computer with Cyrix chip (not Intel). It is only 150 mhz, but tweaked to be a PR-200.
    If and when the clock stops again, I will try your advice. I have tried to enable and disable the APM (advanced power management) feature but with ME, there is no difference. I believe the APM is powered by the software in Microsoft ME. In 95 and 98 (not 2nd edition) I could disable the APM. But I still had the problem in Win 98.

So far the clock is working when I shut off all power to the computer via power strip. I'll post in a few days, or less depending on the situation.

Paul K.

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Sorry Paul K., too many irons and all. I think you may be on to something and I have been trying to research it. Clocks seem to be kicking my butt lately.

My thoughts are this. It either has to be the battery or for some reason the system clock is failing to check the real time clock at startup. I have been trying to find more on it.

8. Paul K.

Paul K. Thread Starter

Thank you. As I said in my last thread, I will keep you updated. I will try a clean boot to see if this identifies any problems. Today , with power source disconnected all night, clock is still working.

I appreciate your assistance - it appears many more people have more serious problems to attend to than my clock. But, if I am to add any other peripheral products to my system, I want it to be 100%, if this is at all possible?!

Thanks again,

Paul K.

9. Paul K.

Paul K. Thread Starter

Just an update since last thread.

The clock has been working fine as long as I shut off power cord to computer. I have tried leaving the AC power on but, then the clock stops. When I go back to shutting down and unplugging the tower, the clock keeps the correct time on next boot. I guess the battery is fine since it does keep time. But, I still cannot explain why this happens.

Does the Advance Power Management setting have anything to do with it? Could the APM device/program/driver be damaged?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Paul K.

10. Paul K.

Paul K. Thread Starter

I still can't get taskbar clock to workafter shutting down computer and not shutting off all power via power strip connected to computer.

I noticed that under drivers for APM, a Cyrix driver (actually two) exist. I have a Cyrix chip based processor. Should I try installing any one of these, and/or will it hurt my computer?

I've also noticed, if you've read my thread, that my APM settings do not include the option for a low battery alert icon- only the power cord icon can/is indicated in taskbar. Could this be the problem? Again, I had the problem while using Win 98 upgraded version. I also can't get my task schedular icon to show in the taskbar. How do I do this? I have Win ME, which did not add any new icons.

Thanks.

Paul K.

11. Paul K.

Paul K. Thread Starter

I think I have solved my problem with the time/date in my taskbar.

After running Ad-aware progran to get rid of spam and leaving the APM in BIOS "Disabled," I installed a new battery. (When I replaced the prior battery, I had set the BIOS to Enabled under minimum settings, which was recommended in one of the Microsoft Knowlegebase articles).
    So far the time and date in taskbar is working when I shut down computer the normal way - with just using the power button on face of computer!
    The only thing I am not sure of is that I noticed the date was a week in advance, but I might not have looked to change this when I replaced the battery.
    If I have a problem I'll post it. If not, I must presume the problem was something in my registry. The Ad-aware program seems to have fixed this. Also, when my computer used to shut-sdown, my A: drive used to cycle as if it was looking for something to open. This does not happen any longer, and my computer runs faster, and shuts down quicker, much quicker.

Thanks to all who helped.

Paul K.

Please marked resolved

12. Paul K.

Paul K. Thread Starter

Oh, well the taskbar clock is bust again. But, hey, it lasted longer than before. My computer date now reverts back to January 1997, and my backround screen returns to the ME logo screen for Setup on every boot - even though I've changed it.

I am going to try another battery for the heck of it. All else works fine - although my internet keeps logging off asking to reconnect often.

Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

Paul K.

13. Paul K.

Paul K. Thread Starter

I have found out that the problem with my clock battery is due to a faulty power supply on face/front of computer.

The on/off button is not working properly and when I shut-off or power down the computer it does not send a trickle down command to let the computer battery activate. abd keep the correct time. That is why when shutting off the power via the power strip, which is connected to back of computer, the battery kicks in - because the back of the computers power supply is functioning properly.

Please mark resolved.

Paul K.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice