1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Taskbar Freezing & Folder Not Opening

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lamplighter, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lamplighter

Lamplighter Thread Starter

I'm having a strange but serious problem with my Windows XP Pro system. This all started happening a few days ago and has grown worse. The symptoms are not always exactly the same - I'll try to describe some of the things that are happening:

After starting, everything will run fine for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. Then when I try to open a program via the start menu or a quick launch, or if I try to open a folder for viewing, either the taskbar will completely freeze or the folder I'm trying to open will display the flashlght animation indefinitely. Once this happens I can still alt+tab between windows that are already open, I just can't open any new windows or programs, and everything seems to get more and more bogged down. I can't even get the Task Manager to open.

As a result, I had to restart my computer 20+ times yesterday while I was backing up my files preparing for reformatting. Problem is, whatever programs I have running (say, Firefox for searching the internet for a solution to my problem, or Mozilla Mail for checking my emails for forum replies) get corrupted during the restart because they weren't shut down properly. I lost years of emails and internet bookmarks yesterday because they were apparently corrupted.

I've scanned with every virus scanner available to me (including a few online scanners) and I've run AdAware and Search & Destroy. None of the programs find anything wrong.

The only program I've recently installed on my system is the Actual Window Minimizer that lets you minimize any program to the system tray. After I started having these problems I uninstalled it thinking it might be the cause, but things didn't get better.

Anyone have any idea what might be the source of my problems?

2. Lamplighter

Lamplighter Thread Starter

Because Firefox was acting so strange I uninstalled and then reinstalled it. Now, for some reason, it won't save any bookmarks, even when I properly close it down.

3. floz

floz

Hi,

I too, am having similar problems. To fix my taskbar/explorer hang, I take the following steps.

I am able to get into task manager. I close the process "explorer.exe" and then I use the run program in task manager to run explorer again.

This is a workaround, but I have no idea how my computer came to adopt this new habit. Also, SP2 was of NO help, at all.

-Adam

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!