1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Taskbar frozen after startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pc83, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pc83

pc83 Thread Starter

Hi all, I have a problem that is completely stumping me. Recently, my computer has started freezing after startup. Well, I say the computer has started freezing, but it's stranger than that. Pretty much as soon as I log into Windows, the taskbar freezes up. Mousing anywhere on the taskbar causes the cursor to turn into the hourglass. The system tray icons are frozen as well. This happens every time the computer starts up.

Desktop items are all clickable and somewhat usable, but to a limited extent. For example, I can open "My Computer" but then explorer freezes if I double-click on either hard drive. I have a videos folder on the desktop that I can open, but if I then try to play any of the videos, Windows Media Player opens with a blank white screen and never actually starts playing the video.

CTRL + ALT + DELETE does nothing, so I can't even access task manager.

I've booted the computer with and without the LAN cable connected, no difference.

It certainly seems like one of the startup items is very problematic. One time I did actually solve this problem by disabling the NVIDIA Media Center startup tray item (using CCleaner). When I did that, the taskbar and system tray sprang to life straight away. But today, I restarted the computer and back to square one. I've tried disabling various startup items with CCleaner, including the NVIDIA Media Center again, but this time none of that is helping.

I am just at a loss as to what to try next, so I'm really hoping someone here can help.

2. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  3. raybro

raybro

The hourglass symbol active when mousing over the taskbar indicates there is a process going on, probably one loading from the startup list in msconfig. The basic purpose (according to Microsoft) of msconfig is to facilitate troubleshooting. This seems an ideal situation to use that concept. If you will click here, your browser will take you to a site where you can find out what all those entries in msconfig startup tab are for. There are also recommendations regarding what you need or do not need to launch on startup.

Raybro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice