1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Taskbar Icons Missing

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by toml12953, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toml12953

toml12953 Thread Starter

Some of my program icons such as Edge have disappeared from my taskbar (not the system tray on the right).
    I had these pinned to the taskbar and now some (but not all) are blank areas. I can still click on them to start the program and the tool tips still work. I tried unpinning them from the taskbar and re-pinning them but the icons are still invisible. I'd really like to avoid having to reload Windows or create a new user and try to copy all my settings and customizations over. My system info is below.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 65478 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD FirePro W5100 Graphics Adapter, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1861 GB (1560 GB Free); D: 3725 GB (2827 GB Free); J: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z170XP-SLI-CF
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    First thing I would recommend trying is to create a new user account or enable the built-in admin account and see if the new account has the same issue or not.

3. Deke40

Deke40

Try this it worked for me.

Rebuild icon cache

· Click Start, and open Computer.

· On the Tool bar, click Organize and choose Folder and Search Options.

· Click the View tab, and check to select the Show hidden files and folders option, and click OK.

· Then, enter the following directory:

· C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local

· Find the IconCache.db file, and rename it as IconCache.db.old.

· Close the window, and restart the computer.

You can either delete the file or rename it .old as it will rebuild when you restart.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice