1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Taskbar in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FredSchall, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FredSchall

FredSchall Thread Starter

I have been unable to locate the answer to this problem. Had a couple of recent power failures due to Hurricane Ivan. My taskbar has gone double height..I can NOT reduce it to single height. Have tried to switch between standard (XP) and classic style....it will NOT switch after I hit apply. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! [email protected]

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Could it be as simple as putting your cursor at the top edge of it until it turns to a double arrow then left click and hold while you drag it down to single height?

might have to unlock it first...right click on the taskbar and make sure lock taskbar is not checked

buck

3. Grimy

Grimy

Recently ran into the same problem. Setting up a client's new HP with XP Home SP1, dropped a few things into the Quick Launch toolbar and, boom, the taskbar goes to double height and nothing will restore it to default. I've scoured the KB and every other resource I can think of and can't even find a mention of this "feature". Hope there's an expert here with an answer.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

The only time this happened to me I'd overloaded the Taskbar and it went into double height to accomodate the extra but I think it corrected itself when I cleared it out a bit. Try going into Taskbar>Properties>Customise and Restore Defaults.

5. FredSchall

Hope so.... if you hear something, please let me know!
    Thanks....

6. buck52

buck52 Banned

I gather it was not as simple as draging it to single size

buck

7. FredSchall

Nothing has worked.... any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks. ;)

8. Miz

Miz

I've fixed the double-height taskbar problem by first disabling "Quick Launch" (right click on an empty space on the taskbar, go to Toolbars, click on Quick Launch to uncheck it). Then drag the toolbar back down to the height you want. Then re-enable Quick Launch (if you want it, that is).

9. mike5532g

mike5532g

If this suggestion does not work Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

Try "restore to xp default"

10. Grimy

Grimy

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Saga - Q/L Bar wasn't overloaded, only about 3 items there when problem occured. Restore Default didn't work.

Buck - Unfortunately not that easy.

Miz - I'll call client in the morning and have him try your fix. I'll let everyone know how it works.

Mike - I have Taskbar Repair Tool Plus in my arsenal and if all else fails I'll have to make an on-site call and try it.

11. Grimy

Grimy

For those still interested in this thread:

My client is unavailable for two weeks, so unable to try to fix the problem directly using his machine. I'll try to duplicate it on one of mine, however I'm using XP Pro vs his Home. Don't know if it matters, but who knows.

Meanwhile, a couple of questions for FredSchall who started this thread:

Are you using the Quick Launch Toolbar? What version of XP are you using?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice