1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Taskbar not showing minimised windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by clarchan, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clarchan

clarchan Thread Starter

when i minimize things they no longer go to my task bar and i cannot see where they go. i can now no longer get back to the page if i minimized it. how do i get it back so that icons pages/sites that i minimize go to the task bar and i can then review them by clicking on them in the task bar. I can retrieve those programs by pressing alt-tab. I hv seen the same pblm posted in other forums but no answers seem to be available. Doing a search on microsoft website to no avail as well. Pls help.

2. Sponsor

3. timothye

timothye

can you see your taskbar or is it hidden ?

4. clarchan

clarchan Thread Starter

I can see my taskbar, as well as the quicklaunch tool bar and notification area. The strange thing is if I deselect quicklaunch the entire taskbar, including the Start button, disappears. I have verified that autohide in taskbar menu is unchecked, and that 'keep taskbar on top of other windows' is checked.

5. timothye

timothye

ok that was going to be my next question .. im not sure whats happening . i hope someone can help ..
    cheers -

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

7. clarchan

clarchan Thread Starter

when I run the program a warning message appeared. Although I have sacnned the program for viruses, I am not sure I want to proceed with something that messes with my shell until I learn enough, or can anyone verify the program is safe to run?

I suspected there were some malwares in my system. So I did a manual clean up of some of the unnecessary background services and tasks, using this website http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm as a gudie, and scanned my pc in safe mode. I don't know what I did right but bingo my taskbar is back to normal! Will post findings here if I learn more. Thanks for your replies and suggestions anyway, much appreciated.

8. clarchan

clarchan Thread Starter

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330212