1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Taskbar rearranging every hour

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by williamc, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. williamc

williamc Thread Starter

Strangest thing, the taskbar on about 15 computers at my company continually rearrange themselves about every hour or so. If the user has Outlook as the first icon, followed by IE then some third party application, the taskbar will disappear for a second and come back with everything out of order. I am unable to pinpoint the cause of the problem, but suspect a windows update as the problem as it started after patching. Anyone else experiencing this or have an idea of the cause? None of the updates appear to address this. Thanks.

William

2. jowolf359

jowolf359 Removed by request Banned

Does the programs, ie: Outlook, IE, and the third party program all go off and then come back up in reverse order? If so, what amount of RAM is on the computers? I had a similar problem and it was due to lack of RAM.

3. bizzt

bizzt

Sounds like the Explorer.exe Service is being stopped then restarted??

4. williamc

williamc Thread Starter

Most are running 256mb or ram, with the exception of one that has 1gb. As for explorer.exe, I thought this too, but wouldnt it be closing all open windows? If the user is in a program working, it stays up, just the taskbar is gone for 1-2 seconds and comes back rearranged.

5. jowolf359

jowolf359 Removed by request Banned

Did this start on just one computer and then travel to the others, or did it happen on all of them at the same time?

6. bizzt

bizzt

Not that I am aware... When it is closed and restarted My Desktop Icons Disappear and Task bar and then it comes back... Just tested and my windows stayed up

7. williamc

williamc Thread Starter

From what the end users are telling me, it all started on the same day. I roll out windows updates on friday evening, and on monday morning they started experiencing the problems. I looked through the KB artices but none of the patches address these symptoms, and its not happening on any other computers in the organization except this user group. I'm at a loss.

8. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

Did you roll out the Windows updates just for the group involved or company-wide ?

9. williamc

williamc Thread Starter

it was company wide. This group has its own GPO, but its very similar to most of the company. Any other ideas?

10. technaught

technaught Banned

I just solved a taskbar icon problem, which is related to networked devices icon settings...

Check this site for a lead:
    http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_013.html

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/466302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice