Taskbar scrolls by itself

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Berillio

Hello,
This is NOT the issue described in

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/479002-how-prevent-taskbar-scrolling.html

but something else. On this laptop (Windows XP Media), the taskbar has always been somewhat "unstable"; note that on this laptop there are lots of icons in the tray already, and even with only 3 quick-launch buttons the task bar is NOT particularly long and gets filled up very easily, so two or three taskbar lines are required at most times.
Normally, when the taskbar runs out of space (because of a large number of windows, if not "grouped"), the taskbar "opens" a new line and create a scroll button so the tabs themself do not become too small and the taskbar too crowded; one can hoover the tabs and read the ballon tip and if not on that line, scroll and search the other lines until one can find the right window and open it.
The problem is that when moving the mouse pointer to any of the window's tab, the taskbar may "scroll" to another line by itself. This is bad enough when one had filled up two lines of taskbar, but becomes excruciating when there are threee lines, because the taskbar may have jumped in any direction, and it takes twice as long to find the tab one was looking for. And of course, once localised the tab which one wants by hoovering on it, the taskbar may scroll again when clicking on it.
This has become worse since I started using K-meleon again, NOT because of K-meleon itself, but because it is stable enough to open a couple of dozen windows without crashing ;-)
Of course the problem is there also when I work: then it would be few excel spreadsheets, three or four Words documents and few pdf's open and the unwanted "scrolling" becomes apparent again.

Using Alt + tab to flick between windows helps, but I really wish I could find a solution to this.

Has anybody come across this issue before and found a solution/workaround to it?

Many thanks,
Berillio

Berillio

"Has anybody come across this issue before and found a solution/workaround to it?"

mmmm it seems not.. :-(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online