1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Taskbar/start button/clock all missing?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rocker2462, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rocker2462

rocker2462 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version:
    Processor:
    Processor Count:
    RAM:
    Graphics Card:
    Hard Drives:
    Motherboard:
    Antivirus: None I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this problem or not but I need some help getting my taskbar back up.I have XP Pro on a Dell Optiplex GX260 mini-tower.I think I have a BUG in my computer as I had a blue screen error that I got past yesterday with help from people in this forum.After I did chkdsk /p and found errors,ran chkdsk /r and chkdsk /p after that with no errors showing.Reboot and no taskbar anywhere.I believe I have tried all the tricks to retrieve it,and no luck yet.Any assistance would be greatly appreciated with a :) instead of a :mad: or even worse :eek: Thanks.

2. haycg

haycg

3. mangoh

mangoh

This should work:

ctrl + alt + del to bring up task manager

file --> new task --> type in explorer.exe and click OK

4. rocker2462

There is a serious problem going on with the computer and I think its a BUG that has really done some serious damage.It says I have no anti-virus when I have Microsoft Security Essentials,which it has somehow disabled.I cant remove certain programs with the control panel. I can only download certain things and have tried Kelly's with no luck.

5. rocker2462

new task explorer does not work either.

6. mangoh

mangoh

have you got the windows xp CD and have you tried a repair installation?

edit: Have you tried this? Different to post #2 from what I believe. First on the list ---> Taskbar is missing

or: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (164 on list)

7. rocker2462

No, I bought the computer a couple years ago and Windows XP Pro was on it. All I have done is run chkdsk /p and chkdsk /r and after that was when I lost the task bar.

8. raybro

raybro

Using the dell Service Tag number in your specs, I found you do NOT have a recovery partition as some Dells do. In order to reinstall your OS, you must have the Dell Operating System CD. You also need the appropriate Dell resources CD for the correct drivers. Click here to view the Dell page where I found this information.

You should be able to purchase the CD's from Dell. I suggest you call their Customer Service and inquire about that.

In your last post, you said:
    This leads me to think its possible the HDD is beginning to fail.

9. rocker2462

Well, I don't know about that. I have a Seatools Diagnostic disc and did a short test and long test on both HD's and both passed as did the chkdsk /p. Fortunately I have a old Dell Dimension 4550 that I'm able to use as a back-up.I am trying to get a XP disc and see what I can accomplish with that.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1015756