1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Taskbar won't move

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TravisCutter, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TravisCutter

TravisCutter Thread Starter

Hello,

I received a new computer for Christmas. I don't know what I did, but the blue taskbar that "used to be" on the bottom moved to the right side of the screen with "Start" at the top and the time is on the right where it used to be, but it's kinda squished now.

I called a friend and she told me just to drag it to the bottom. Well, it won't drag. I was told to click to make sure Lock Taskbar was unchecked (it was) and a couple of other things, but it still won't go down to the bottom where it was.

The only thing dragging did was to move the Taskbar to the left side of the screen (even though I was dragging to the bottom), but the Start Button is still at the topmost right side of the screen. The clock area is still at the bottom right, where it was.

I don't know what else to do. It just will not move to the bottom where it was and my "helper" is very frustrated with me. I do exactly what she says, but it doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

2. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Oh, give it another try, left click and hold in the center of the toolbar, then drag down at a 45 degree angle towards the bottom and see what happens.

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

If it just happened and you didn't change anything else, perform a system restore to a point (date and time) before it happened and all will be well.

4. TravisCutter

To: rotarysteve,

Honestly and truly, I've tried every angle and "it" just won't do it.

To: fairnooks,

It didn't "just happen"; it's been this way for a couple of months. I Googled to find out how to do a system restore, but the dates don't go back that far.

Should I just slap myself and go back to Win98? :eek:

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Well then, you can try creating a new user profile and see if it works properly in that account. If it does, you might have to google about moving data and settings to another account and leave that one behind.
    If that doesn't work you might try what's called a repair install if you have a XP install disc.
    Again google for exact instructions but its very similar to a normal install except at the last option you choose repair instead of install (not repair console which comes before that option) and hopefully it will go through and replaced any damaged windows files and fix the problem.

6. raybro

raybro

Before you can move the Task Bar, you must first right-click on it and uncheck "Lock the Task bar".

Raybro

7. TravisCutter

To: fairnooks,

My computer is a Lenovo and there weren't any disks that came with it. I'll write to them and see how to do a repair install. We're really getting out of my wheelhouse here, but I'll try. I'm not 100% sure when I'll get a response nor when I'll be able to give it a go as school is really cramping my style right now. :p

To: Raybro,

I mentioned that in my first post — it's still unchecked (I just looked). There are two of those perforated lines at the top and bottom of the taskbar. Probably means nothing?

Anyway, thanks, guys, for your help. At least I can't hear you yelling at me! :D

8. raybro

raybro

Missed that... :eek: Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Perforated lines :confused: Perhaps a screen shot would be of some help.

Raybro

9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    lenovos dont come with recovery disks anymore nor will they send u one. however im guessing that windows xp came preloaded in your computer.what u are supposed to do is make your own recovery disks so that if u get in a jam again and have to reinstall the operating system u will be able to do so.theres a program for lenovo computers called rescue and recovery for windows xp. u can download and install it and follow the instructions if its not already installed in your computer. in your c drive check to see if u have something called preload. thats your recovery partition if it hasnt been deleted by a new reinstall.however before doing anything if u have anything in your documents such as pix music etc put it on a cd or a flash drive and save it. then if u want to reinstall everything u reboot the computer and hit F11 which will launch the rescue and recovery environment if the preload is still on the c drive. it will restore hopefully the computer back to the factory settings or the way it came when it was brand new.hope this helps u in the future.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!