1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Taxes – 2009 – Filing Tips & General Discussion.

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by jonasdatum, Jan 30, 2010.

Advertisement
  1. jonasdatum

jonasdatum Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy Forums > Community > Random Discussion >
    Taxes – 2007 – Filing Tips & General Discussion.
    http://forums.techguy.org/random-dis...s-general.html

Tech Support Guy Forums > Community > Random Discussion >
    Taxes – 2008 – Filing Tips & General Discussion.
    http://forums.techguy.org/random-discussion/793182-taxes-2008-filing-tips-general.html

Tax time, let's get started people.

Anybody have good tax tips to share? How about experiences good or bad? Heck even them horror stories.

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    This is obviously about American taxes, about which I cannot comment, but for you Canadian members, if you expect a large refund I recommend E-filing. Software like Quick-Tax is around $40 and extremely easy to use. I used it last year for the first time and I got my refund in less than a week. :)(y)

3. bp936

bp936

for Canadians, I switched from Quicktax to U-File, cheaper and easier to understand, at least for my brain, E-filing gets fast refunds/

4. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    How much is U-file?

I notice a birthday cake next to your name! ;) You finally 29? ;):cool:

5. jonasdatum

I still use TaxAct. I was going to try doing my taxes by hand this year. However I made even more money than last year and I've had some investment changes I didn't have in prior years. Once I learn how to deal with these new variables I'll try it.

6. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    I've done my own taxes for more than 30 years but I started using Quicktax last year just so that I could E-file and get my return faster.

7. bp936

bp936

U-File is 19.95 and last year I could do more returns than Quicktax, because I am also doing everyone's return in my family for ever.

thanks for the cake, yes, I managed to reach 29 ( times a lot).

8. raybro

raybro

Same old method I've used for years. Turbo Tax on the web. No software installed on my machine to take up unnecessary space and the tax return on file in Intuit's server for 7 years in addition to a hard copy in my files. E-filed both fed and state on Jan 26, refund deposited to my bank on Feb 2. Works for me.

Raybro

9. jonasdatum

There no new particular tweaks or items to mention? Have you tried other tax software or no?

10. raybro

raybro

Nothing particularly unique or complex about my tax situation. My wife and I are both on Social Security and I have a small tax deferred IRA from which I transfer funds on an as needed basis. I tried another tax program a number of years ago (can't even recall the brand), but found TurboTax on the web to be very easy to use and quite comprehensive. They ask all the right questions to ensure I get everything advantage the law allows. Turbo tax also can transfer data from your financial institution(s) as needed and all the basic info from the previous years tax forms. The majority of manual input is pretty limited to anything which has changed from the previous year. It took me about 1.5 hours to complete the entire process.

Raybro

11. jonasdatum

Tax Preparation Deduction... Look into it. Also there is a credit card service fee deduction if you have to pay the tax man back.

If I find the exact links to the data I will amend this post.

12. jonasdatum

I added tax preparation fees into my return but didn't get back anything. At least next time I know that I can add them. Currently I am reviewing Publications 529 & 463 to see if there is any way I can add my travel expenses to my return. Unfortunately it appears I can not for you see I 'not yet' obtained my vehicle. So I use alternate means of transport to my employer.

Taxes – 2008 – Filing Tips & General Discussion.
    View Single Post
    http://forums.techguy.org/7214222-post6.html
    Safe Deposit Box Rent

13. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Last time I checked you cannot deduct travel expenses to and from your main place of employment, even if it is by car. An example would be to and from a job at Taco Bell or Home Depot.

However if you deliver pizzas for Papa Johns, then you would be able to deduct travel expenses because your car is being used for your work.

14. jonasdatum

Yea basically. I've read the two publications and they basically say you have to travel outside of your primary employment. For example: Me commuting to-and-from my job within my city - not a deductable. However If I went from NJ to NY I could add it. At least that is the way I understand it.

How about uniforms or clothing for work. There is a dress code at most jobs. Since I do need them to perform my duties would it be so bad to write off my purchases of them? I think we talked about this last year; regardless some people do.

15. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The IRS test for uniforms and work clothing is whether the clothing is suitable for use outside the work environment. My daughter works at a veterinarian's office where she wears one of those cute outfits with dogs, cats and birds on it; she writes them off as a job expense. She is also supposed to wear white athletic shoes, which she does not write off since they can be worn about anywhere.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/898825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice