1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TCP/IP between XP and 98

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Metaphoric, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Metaphoric

Metaphoric Thread Starter

Hi,
    i own two machines, my current laptop with windows xp (sp1), and an older pc with Windows 98.
    My problem is when i try to network them, they both have NIC cards and i have successfully networked them for file sharing with NetBEUI protocol. The problem is that this appears to limit what i can play in terms of LAN games.
    I decided to try and use TCP/IP but this failed miserably. often my XP machine would see my 98 machine but the 98 could not access the xp machine. If i searched in network neighborhood on 98 i could see the xp machine but was denied access.

both computers are linked by a crossover cable.

I did the following, could someone please help me identify the problem:-
    - I installed "file and printer sharing for Microsoft networking", "Client for Microsoft networks" and "Internet protocol TCP/IP" on both computers.
    - I Gave the xp and 98 machines the ip addresses "192.168.0.1" and "192.168.0.2" respectively, and both with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0

After the following steps did not work i tried creating different DNS addresses and gateway addresses based on suggestions from sites. but none of these worked. So i am still at the stage i was above. please could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance,
    Metaphoric

p.s. would it be any better/easier if i use TCP/IPX?

2. dai

dai

set up the xp machine using ics,and then make the floppy to run on the 98

3. Metaphoric

if its possible, it works even less now. i ran the setup wizard, made the floppy and used it on 98.
    it set my 98machine up to have no tcp/ip settings and my xp machine to have ip- 192.168.0.1 and subnet -225.225.255.0

neither of the pcs can detect each other. if i change the 98 machine to ip- 192.168.0.2 and subnet -225.225.255.0 the xp can ping the 98, but the 98 cannot ping the xp.

help :(

4. dai

dai

when you ran the floppy what did you choose from the options
    this comp connects directly
    this comp connects through another comp
    this comp does not connect
    check the names ae the same i.e. mshome

5. Metaphoric

i chose "this comp connects directly" on xp

then on 98 i tried it with "this comp connects through another comp" and "this comp in on a network that does not have a net connection" but neither worked

and yes they both were "mshome", i just left it as default but i did check

i appreciate the help, :)

6. coulterp

coulterp

My understanding of ICS is that it is used to share an Internet connection - and there was no mention of an Internet connection in the posting. If there is ... then that (ICS) connection will need to be in addition to the existing XP/NIC - 98/NIC connection.

Metaphoric: I don't think you want to be trying to add in another protocol (IPX), unless you have Novell kit on your LAN.
    Do you have user accounts of the same name on both PCs? It could be just an access/permissions issue. I believe if you have the guest account enabled on the XP box your should be able to get access from the 98 box to the XP box.

7. Metaphoric

yea im not really bothered about ICS. mainly for playing games is what i want it for.
    I had created a user account on my xp machine that matches the account of the 98 machine but the 98 still cannot access the Xp machine

8. dai

dai

9. coulterp

coulterp

What state are the PCs now in? i.e are the PCs back in the state of the first posting (in terms of IP addressing and protocols and components installed on each end of the connection?
    Can you do ipconfig/all on each PC and are the results sensible (post if you need assitance)? Can you ping each PC from the other?

10. Metaphoric

looks intesting, ill try this setup and post back my results, thanks for help :)

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Did you turn off the firewall on the XP computer.

12. Metaphoric

hi again,
    i tried what was mentioned in that other post, but thanks to a post before about firewall i membered to disable it.
    Ive reached another level but still not complete.
    Both PCs have the settings as before, 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, both with subnet mask 255.255.255.0. They can both successfully ping each other. but they are not in either network neighborhood although they are in the same workgroup.
    If i do a computer search in xp i can see the 98 machine and have full access to it, but NOT the other way round, the 98 machine cannot even find the xp machine.

I would like to get to the point where they are both in the same visible workgroup and can access each other from network neighborhood.
    Please feel free to ask if u need any more info.

Thanks again,
    metaphoric

p.s. please explain what ipconfig/all is, sorry im not too advanced when it comes to networking! :)

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Make sure you have the same user account on the XP computer that is logging into the Win98 one.

The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

Can you ping by computer name as well as IP address. If you can't ping by name, and it gets too difficult to figure out, with only two computers, you might want to add the other one's name and IP address into both the HOSTS and LMHOSTS.

14. Metaphoric

please explain HOSTS and LMHOSTS. :)

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The HOSTS file is used to resolve the name with the IP address for making strictly TCP/IP type access, such as PING

The LMHOSTS files is used to resolve the name with the IP address when making typical network connections.

Both are just text files that in Win98 are in the \windows directory and NT based operating systems in the \system directory\system32\drivers\etc directory (where system directory is wherever it is installed - e.g c:\windows or c:\winnt).

The format for both is basically the same.
    IP address, spaces Name
    e.g. 192.168.0.1 server

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice