1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TCP/IP print spooler software

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by evo22, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. evo22

evo22 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have windows 98 machine on our network and I need it to print to a networked Ricoh Aficio CL3500N PCL 5C printer. Anyone know of any solutions regarding this issue?

Thanks in advance

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

You need the Win98 driver of said printer. It's best to install it first as local printer and connect to lpt1.
    Then download HP Install Network Printer Wizard from here:
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/en/en/network_software/install_overview.html

Install and run it. It will help you find the printer on the network, create printing path, and assign the previously installed driver to the network printer.
    Then you can delete the local printer.

3. evo22

evo22 Thread Starter

Thank you...I will give that a try.

4. evo22

evo22 Thread Starter

I tried what you suggested and I can't locate the printer on the network using HP Intall Network Printer Wizard?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have a Ricoh Aficio CL3500N PCL 5C, and you're using an HP install wizard? Small wonder it can't find it!

6. evo22

evo22 Thread Starter

Exactly.....pointing out the obvious is nice but what is the solution?

7. JohnWill

You can start by not using anything that says HP. :rolleyes:

Did you try to go to Network Neighborhood and browse to the machine in question? See if the shared printer is listed, it should be. Note that you'll have to manually install the printer drivers for the printer, since W98 won't automatically download them from the machine with the shared printer.

8. evo22

evo22 Thread Starter

Yes...... I have done all of what you listed and with no results. That's why I thought I'd try posting here :)

9. JohnWill

Do the Ricoh drivers say they're W98 compatible? Have you tried Ricoh tech support to see if they have a suggestion?

10. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Well, once I used HP Install Network Printer Wizard to connect to an AGFA photocopy-printer, and it worked. I'm positive its not limited to HP printers.

From the original description of the problem I assumed so, but now I have to ask if this printer is connected directly to network? Does it have an IP number? Or is it installed as a local printer and shared on a PC?

11. evo22

evo22 Thread Starter

The printer has an IP and is attached to one of our servers. I'm still trying to find win98 compatable drivers.

12. JohnWill

If you can browse the network and see the printer, I suspect the drivers are the sticking point.

13. evo22

evo22 Thread Starter

I have just installed the Ricoh drivers for win98 and I ran the HP wizard still will not locate the printer....I've searched online and have come across a few post that recommend the same HP tool to locate any IP printer on a network. It's just not working for me?

14. JohnWill

Can you browse in Network Neighborhood and locate the printer? We need to know if you have connectivity to the printer. How about pinging the printer's IP address from the machine?

15. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

Try the other option of the HP tool. Don't search for the printer, select it by IP number, instead. Or by name.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice