TCP/IP Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

greendai

Hi. I hope someone out there can help me.

I have a laptop running Win98SE. It was running NTL broadband on an Actiontec wireless router then one day the wireless packed up. I spoke to the Actiontec Tech Support Guys and they said there is a fundamental problem with my TCP/IP. Why they said that is we tried to connect the wireless router directly to my PC so we could change some settings inside it but although my PC detected the router, it would not bind a protocol to it. Everytime I went to the Control Panel, then Network, I would get an error message saying "Your network is not complete. Do you want to continue."

Actiontec told me that I had a corrupted file and to re-install TCP/IP. I followed Microsoft's advice from the Knowledge Base on uninstalling and re-installing TCP/IP (and I've tried a few other things from there too).

Now not only is my wireless not working but now I can't even connect my broadband directly to my PC (which I had been doing since the wireless stopped working).

When I go into the Control Panel, then Network, I still get the same message and when I try to add a component, the only one that seems to work is Adapter. I'm unable to add a protocol, client or service.

Can someone help me?

If you cannot add additional components your NIC is most likely defective. Did you remove ALL of the components under the network config?

I did a yahoo search on "Your network is not complete. Do you want to continue." what I came up with was interesting. There was one link describing how to reinstall TCP/IP which you have already done and this was the other page http://www.answers.vt.edu/ask4help/desktop/vtkb463.htm. Try doing that and let me know how it turns out! Also is DHCP runnung on your wireless router?

greendai

Hi Rockn. Yes I did remove all the components. I had been using my broadband via my USB port since my wireless broke. To make sure I could get it back up and working, I noted down the settings for my cable modem, the protocol for the cable modem and checked that they were bound to each other. After powering back up, when I went into Control Panel, Network, I got the message "Your network is not complete". I re-installed the drivers for the cable modem but when I click Add to add a protocol (or a client or service) it just does nothing! I can add Network Adapters but that's it. The fact that my broadband was working correctly prior to this makes me think the NIC is okay and it's something else maybe?

greendai

Hi ITpro4470. Thanks for the link. I took a look at the article but my problem is when I click Add (at point 2.E in the article), nothing happens! I've tried uninstalling and re-installing TCP/IP but it stills does it.

Hmmm if its corrupted software a complete reinstall of the operating system may do.
Before we get that drastic try hooking your computer directly to the cable/DSL modem bypassing that router so we can rule that out. Another thing, try to ping the IP address of your computer from your computer if this fails then the problem is either in the TCP/IP stack installed or in the NIC

You certainly don't need to reinstall the entire operating system with Win98 if all that is the problem is a corrupted TCP/IP stack.

What steps did you take to uninstall and reinstall it?

Are you getting a valid IP address assigned to the computer?

greendai

Hi ITpro4470. I was running my cable/DSL modem directly since my wireless router stopped working, right up until I uninstalled and re-installed TCP/IP using the MS Knowledge Base article 181599. The problem is that doing this hasn't fixed a thing. I was getting the "Your network is not complete" message before and I'm still getting it now. I couldn't add a Protocol, Client or Service before and I still can't now. So all this has done for me is cause me to lose all my network configurations and, apart from Network Adapters, I can't put any of them back. So I'm stuck. I'll try the Ping suggestion tonight and let you know how I get on.

If you want to uninstall and reinstall TCP/IP, assuming you have access to the source files:

1. Add NetBEUI
2. Remove TCP/IP
3. Reboot
4. Add TCP/IP
5. Remove NetBEUI
6. Reboot

The benefit of this is that it keeps your network card drives in place.

But what error message do you get when you tried to add a network protocol? Getting this information up front would be helpful.

greendai

Hi Bob. I followed the MS Knowledge Base article 181599.

When I ran winipcfg after uninstalling and re-installing TCP/IP I get a message something like "Fatal error TCP/IP is not installed on this PC" or something very similar. When I get home tonight I'll check it and post a reply tomorrow.

I have found that not to be the most reliable method for removing and then reinstalling the TCP/IP stack as you are experiencing. That's why I started using the NetBEUI etc. method years ago.

greendai

Hi Bob. Our replies crossed. I start the Control Panel, click the Network Icon and I have one tab Configuration. I then click on Add and the Select Network Component Type dialogue box pops up. If I click on anything other than Adapter, nothing happens. At the moment I have no protocols listed and I'm not sure how I would add or remove NETBEUI. I'll come back to you about the error message I get when I run WINIPCFG

So you never did follow the instructions on Microsoft's site since there should be TCP/IP listed.

If you don't have TCP/IP installed, there is no point in running WINIPCFG.

greendai

Hi Bob. I did have it listed for the cable/DSL modem prior to me uninstalling and re-installing. The MSKB article said to remove it before un-installing. My problem is I can't seem to add anything other than an Adapter.

Again, that's one reason I don't like doing it that way.

So you right click on Network Neighborhood, you don't see tabs for Configuration, Identification and Access Control?

Do you have the source files for Win98? If so, you may be able to reinstall on top of your current version. Better than trying a complete reinstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts