1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TCP/IP Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kinser11, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kinser11

Kinser11 Thread Starter

If you were asked the following question in an interview, how would you best answer it?

How is TCP/IP used to verify a connection to the TCP/IP Host?

I'm not a real network guru as you might tell obviously but I have been told this question will come up in an interview I will be having on Monday morning. I'm a pretty well seasoned Help Desk support analyst and I'm having a hard time formulating an intelligent answer. So if any you expert Network guys can help me out, I would be mucho appreciative.

Thanks

2. Rockn

Rockn

Interview....LOL
    Sounds like trying to get answers for an exam. I don't think you will get an answer from anyone in the forum. You should get the job or degree on your own merit, not using someone elses answers.

3. Kinser11

Kinser11 Thread Starter

This was definately not for an exam. A job interview as stated. I had the interview and through research on my own, I did answer that question to the satisfication of the interviewer. I had the great fortune of having a consulting firm familiar with the questions this company asked in their tech interview. In this currently economy you have to do what you can get an edge over the competition out there. That's why I asked the question in this forum. I've asked other questions and asked for help here in the past and have always got was I was looking for without getting a smart assed comment. For your information the tech interview I had today was more like a Oral certifcation exam by 3 individuals who grilled me. I came out feeling pretty good about it. So thanks for your lack of help anyway.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Kinser11
    Reviewed your request days ago for an answer to the TCP/IP question and to be very frank I could not answer it. Do not feel one persons answer is the answer of all here. I for one am more than willing to help anyone answer Interview questions or School questions.
    I feel education is Important. If someone is abusing to get out of
    doing homework or research it becomes obvious real quick. In your case I did not have the answer.
    Hope you get the job.
    Dave

5. Bartholomew

Bartholomew

My advise is to say that with TCP/IP you can use the PING command to send a time to live packet from your computer to the device (node) your trying to verify connectivity with. This test the Physical layer of the OSI layered model. The next thing you could use is the Trace Route command to show the path of devices that you will go to, to get to the device your connecting to or trying to test for connectivity. I think this occurs at layer 3 of the OSI model. The last and final way is to use the Telnet Command which will allow you access to the device and use it like you were directly attached to it. Below are the commands in MS DOS

Ping IP 10.177.23.1 Ping Command
    Tracert 10.177.23.1 Trace Route Command
    Telnet 10.177.23.1 Telnet Command

Hope You get the Job

6. Kinser11

Kinser11 Thread Starter

Dave, thanks for the reply. The question might have been a little out of contect but what they were looking for was as simple as the PING command. I hear what you saying but I did not appreciate the comment submitted. I took it as more out of arogance than anything else. My philosophy is if don't have anything good to say, keep your mouth shut. Usually works.....

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Kinser11
    I agree! You must understand though we have a very diverse crowd here and sometimes there is friction. There have been times I should of kept my mouth shut but if I did I would of floated away and exploded. :D:D:D
    Just keep asking and helping when you can, We all appeciate it.
    Dave

8. subaruwrx

subaruwrx

PING ***.***.***.***

--Adam

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice