TDSS Rootkit atapi.sys infection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Grenwulf

I have identified an infection on my XP PC (started looking due to Google redirects and XP Defender Pro scareware). Did some research, and have determined I have the LOVELY tdss rootkit infection. I have isolated it back to just having ATAPI.SYS show as infected using various tools (MBAM, HITMAN, TDSSKILL, etc.). I am copying a clean ATAPI.SYS from a PC at work, and will copy that to my system when I get home. Once that is complete, I will install and run/post HJT log, if someone can assist?

By the way, this site has been IMMENSELY helpful in identifying my problems. Just wanted to say thank you to all involved! Even IT "pros" (security not being my area of expertise - I am a networking and hardware guy) need a hand now and then.

Kenny94

Banned
Hi Grenwulf And Welcome to TSG!

Sorry for the delay. Do you still need help with this PC?

Grenwulf

I decided, after reviewing a lot of the other resolutions for this issue:eek:, to just blow it away. Uploaded MyDocuments stuff to an online storage location:cool:, and reloaded from factory restore partition, formatting the drive - and killing all the crapware the factory partition installs. I set my wife up with a non-admin account after she infected us with koobface (yay malware bytes!:D) after I had just finished recovering from the TDSS infection.:mad:

Kenny94

Banned
Sorry we could not help. We have been so busy here. Thanks for letting be know.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online