1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Teach me to overclock...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ranmas83, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ranmas83

Ranmas83 Thread Starter

Does anyone know where i can find a guide or teach me to make my computer all hardware become the strongest possible without destroying itself? I wanna learn how to inprove things in Bios of comptuer. i got a bunch of kool things there that can improve the CPU usage but not sure how it really works. also wanna do Graphics card too. I wanna also find programs to help. I have some from when i bought these products cept im not sure how to use either :( so please help !!! :D

Specs are...

2. johnsonwk2

johnsonwk2

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Guides tend to apear in magazines every so often, but no hard and fast rule. If you want a net search, ltry "overclock xxx guide" where xxx is the item you want to clock. Clocking is hard to do successfully, and time consuming, and takes a long time to knw enough to be able to try breaking a few rules. You also need to bear in mind that if you clock it, you may break it, and theres no warranty if you do. Dont clock it if you cant afford to lose it is the rule :)

4. Ranmas83

Ranmas83 Thread Starter

Ok hehe np that good rulle :p

5. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

Also, depending on how far you overclock it, you're gonna need more cooling. Let say you overclock a 1.5GHz CPU to 1.6Ghz, big deal. Might raise a few degrees nothing to worry over much. But lets say you overclock a 2.4GHz dual core to 3Ghz, your going to HAVE to have a better heatsink/fan then the stock.

Also, you might be able to overclock something extremely far and have it work (no lock ups or crashes) but overclocking will always shorten the life of it.

6. Ranmas83

Ranmas83 Thread Starter

i sorta prepared ahead of time thinking about that when i was buying stuff, i have not only 6 case fans i have this nice USB cooling right into hot spots and the nice CPU cooling fan. I also keep my room a good 55 degrees compared to rest of house air condition is like 2 feet from fan. Soooo My cooling isn't going to be a problem :p i have 2.2 ghz and my motherboard book says i can put 10% with the bios settings i just wanna make sure i'm doing the right things hehe i don't wanna go blowing up my system and blame the dog again :p

7. kev1952

kev1952

Is there any specific reason WHY you want to overclock (other than because you can)? With the ever reducing cost of components now days if you want to go faster then upgrade! Most people that overclock systems usually find out that it's no good in the long run because the component life is significantly shortened, thus costing more money. In my view there really is no good reason to overclock a stable system. :eek:

8. RoBe

RoBe

9. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

Kev makes a point. I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103037

For $40 I would get it. Think about it this way: lets say you overclock your current CPU to 2.5Ghz, that'll be a nice increase. But if you get that new CPU and only overclock it 100MHz, you'll get the same speed but you wont be taxing the CPU that much.

Or, you can get the new CPU and push it to, say, 2.6Ghz or 2.7Ghz, much further then you'll be able to push your current CPU.

These overclocking numbers are just estimates for the example I give. Theres no way to tell how little/far you can overclock your specific hardware until you do it.

But I would definitely get a new CPU just because of how cheap they are. I bet eBay would have some even cheaper.

10. Ranmas83

Ranmas83 Thread Starter

yeah, you guys are right. I just wanna get exp in all kinds of computer things to be able to do something to help myself or a friend later down the road. right now im mainly just trying to get my computer to run at best performance really. my games can range from not much graphics to it needs all my Ram CPU and Video memory to play like C&C Tiberium Wars... i can play with low graphics cept problem is when a ton of ppl are built even off screen system just goes hella slow :/ thats main reason i dont care to much about Quality but it be nice hehe

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice