1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Teaching Word & Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by califoh, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. califoh

califoh Thread Starter

Hi, I have been asked to teach a class on Word & Excel where I work. This will be a class for beginners. I know both programs pretty well but I have never taught anyone how to use them. I am not sure where to begin with and what features to show. If anyone has done this I would appreciate some advice. Thank you.

2. jvinson549

jvinson549

If the people in the class are from your place of employment and are using the same version of the program, I reccomend starting out with how you personally use the software. Such as your normal daily routine of using the software. Make sure you review the software help files thouroghly. Most of the questions that may come up in the class can be answered with the contents of the help files.

I have been placed in this position and everything has worked out fine. Good Luck.

3. califoh

califoh Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I am mostly worried about speaking in front of people. I normally do tech support over the phone or one on one.

4. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

Hi

I'm sure you'll do great if you're used to offering support over the phone. I lecture regularly on a part time basis for my local university but I have the utmost respect for 'on the phone' support professionals.

It must be really difficult when speaking to people who EXPECT you to have all the answers there and then!!! At least when lecturing you can always say... "I'll get back to you on that one!!"

Anyhow, as I'm sure you will already know, there will be loads of advice and support over the web. I've just done a quick search using google for "word tips" and it has brought back load of stuff. here's just a few ....

http://www.wordinfo.com/links/tiplist.htm

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/word/

I'm sure you will be great - go for it!

Good luck

John

5. califoh

califoh Thread Starter

Thank you John, I am going to check out the links now.

6. theMusicMan

theMusicMan

no problem you're very welcome ......

Don't forget to do the same type of search in a www browser for MS Excel tips & tricks as well.

John

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I teach both.

Try this link:

http://www.lgta.org/word7/

And here's the TOC from one of the manuals I use for Word 2000, edited by me to be coherent:

Getting Started
    Define Word processing software
    Launching Word
    Creating a shortcut
    Viewing Word window (explain title bar, Exit X, menu bar, toolbars, status bar, scroll bars, etc.)
    Entering and saving text
    Autotext/autocorrect
    Insert/Delete, Select/Replace
    Using Help/Office Assistant
    Preview/Printing
    Close/Exit
    Save -vs- Save as

Editing and Proofing
    Copying/Moving
    Spellcheck/Grammar/Thesaurus
    Find/Replace

Formatting
    Apply fonts/effects
    Alignment/Tabs/Indenting
    Paragraph spacing
    Bullets/Numbering
    Borders/Shading

Tables
    Creating
    Use instead of columns
    Convert Text-to-table and/or Table-to-Text
    Insert/Delete rows/columns
    Sorting data in a table
    Calculating (I wouldn't use this--too rarely used)

Formatting Pages
    Headers/Footers
    Using fields (page numbers/section numbers/dates)
    Page orientation
    Different first page/Different Odd-Even pages

Hope this helps! Of course, this is a 6-hour course and I've left out stuff that I wouldn't bother teaching.

8. tderose

tderose

I teach it for a living now. The biggest problem that I have with every class is underestimating how little they know.

Spend some time on basics, really basics. Don't be fooled by the know it all who yawns in your face. It's the quiet ones who pretend they know what they are doing because they're embarrassed by their inexperience.

Give them a simple assignment and then look over their shoulders. You might be startled to know how many folks don't know what to do with the buttons on the mouse.

Another thing I do is to teach with assignments. Instead of teaching cut and paste, I give them an assignment that needs it and then look around to see who does it AND HOW THEY DO IT. That way I can quietly give advice to the embarrassed and not waste the time of the knowledgeable.

Asking them to buy the step by step series and then supplementing it with lots of practice material helps.

Ted

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Good info, tderose.

I remember going to teach a Win98 class and thinking "this'll be a breeze". Four people. Only ONE had ever even touched a mouse before. Omigod!!

And you're absolutely right about the quiet ones...

:)

10. Raphael

Raphael

Welcome to the club!! Reader's Digest once joked that a deer caught in your headlights will just freeze... it thinks your headlights are stagelights and it has stage fright!!!
    A fantastic website for lesson plans is Bigchalk.com. Besides for its own lesson plans, it has a great search engine.
    I personally like to creat my lesson plans out of the Sams books, either Teach Yourself... In 24 Hours, or Teach Yourself...In 10 min. Both are very well organized
    Don't forget the chinese proberb, "A teacher opens the door...but student must walk thru."

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Oh, and you can teach them some fun stuff, too.

Like what happens when you type =rand(5,5) and hit enter.

Go here for some, depends on versions: http://www.eeggs.com/tree/558.html

12. Hect

Hect

I teach for a living and I agree with tderose. Start with the basics and I mean very basic. I start with teaching the menus and buttons. Don't take it for granted that they know what the buttons do. In my first lesson I teach:
    The Title Bar
    The Menu Bar
    The Stardard Toolbar
    The Formatting Toolbar
    The Status Bar
    Things will go smoother if they have a good understand of this.
    2nd lesson: Type a letter and save it to disk
    3rd lesson: Finding your way around on the hard drive. I found that a lot of people save things and don't know where it went.

If you want me let me know and I'll send it. Allow lots of time. Some people are quite slow to catch on and it will probably take longer than you estimate.

13. califoh

califoh Thread Starter

Thank you all so much. I am sorry I have not been back to this board sooner to thank you. All of the advice is very good. Thanks again

14. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Don't worry about it. Some never come back and it's so nice when someone does.

If you tell them you're nervous about speaking in front of people at the beginning of the class--it'll be out. And you'll be able to relax. (It really works, too!)

GOOD LUCK!!

15. Raphael

Raphael

I just started today a class for seniors... they had such a hard time understanding the concept of a mouse!!! I took them to paint, and had them scribble around a little to get a feel for it. Any ideas where to go from here??

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice