1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Team Fortress Classic, RUBBISH FPS! Need some help :(

Discussion in 'Games' started by bob173115, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bob173115

bob173115 Thread Starter

So, I've been trying to figure out why TFC won't run properly for me. When I play, my FPS is sitting around 7-15 on average. I've been lucky enough to get the occasional 60-100, but that only lasted for a minute after adjusting cl rates and such. Then, it went right back to crap.

Here are my system specs, I'm coming right off a reformat, drivers are installed.

Model: Dell Inspirion B130
    BIOS: A10 (Up to date)
    Processor: Pentium M 1.7GHz FSB: 399MHz
    RAM: Single Channel DDR2 512 MB
    Chipset: i915GM/GMS i910GML Express Family Chipset
    Video Card: Onboard, 96 MB
    Sigmatel Audio (Not sure on specs)

Any other information I need to gather would be fine, just let me know what else to sniff out.

Also, don't tell me that my computer is the problem.. I've played TFC perfectly fine before with high 90s FPS and no sluggish problems.

And another thing... No background apps are running, if you want I'll post a picture of my task manager. My internet latency isn't the issue, it's the FPS. If anyone could help I'd be VERY happy... This whole thing has driven me right up the wall. TIA!

EDIT: I remember doing a steam performance scan yesterday before I reformatted and I passed fine.. But this is what I got when I scanned just a minute after posting this thread:

General System Performance: Failed
    Your system does not meet the system requirements for any Source games. This is critical in having an enjoyable play experience.
    Your Intel CPU: 598 MHz
    Minimum CPU: 1200 MHz
    Recommended CPU: 2400 MHz

Total Memory: 504 MB
    Available Memory: 161 MB
    Minimum Memory: 256 MB
    Recommended Memory: 512 MB

My CPU is 1.7 GHZ... WTF? Why does it say my CPU is lower than what it is, and how do I go about fixing that?

2. Nanie

Nanie

Well, I don't know how much I can help with this one, but does this only happen with this game? If so, possibly re-installing it may help. It may be some sort of config file that's not right or something, I am on a computer I can't test my theories on unfortunately, but hell it's worth a shot.

3. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

You can't do anything with the cpu. Have you try turn down the settings?

4. Nanie

Nanie

No what he means is that his CPU is actually 1.7 GHZ, and looking at the specs of later versions of Team Fortress (Limited Resources at Job Corps T-T ) by all means it should run flawlessly, he meets the specs for optimum.

Edit:
    But yea, if he has Team Fortress I would assume he automatically attempted a lower setting try, and failed on that too. Basically, it's thinking that uh figuratively, "You can't handle the power" and so isn't allowing it to run right at all.

5. bob173115

bob173115 Thread Starter

I've tried everything I can think of to make it run smooth, lowering settings, reinstalling, downloading/redownloading steam/TFC, trying older versions of video drivers, as well as the newest ones, my BIOS is up to date, my audio does skip a bit with the game though...

Anyone know how to find out which soundcard I have? I've never really looked at soundcard properties before...

6. Mancow

Mancow

Are you typing "netgraph 1" to get your FPS reading? Or are you just guessing its your fps

ALSO I have heard this from other people playing as well - ever since the last steam client update! (unless your the same person I heard it from - do you play in the Chaos 2fort server?)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice