1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tech at fault?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by medic17506, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. medic17506

medic17506 Thread Starter

Here's a delimma I have, I need some advice.

I've been pondering this in my head...my mother's computer crapped out...the power supply went out. We had our tech guy come out to replace it, that's cool.

Well, he said as he was hooking up the new one it arced and fried the usb ports and the mouse port. I questioned her about him unplugging the machine - it's on a UPS...she said she didn't think he unplugged it at all.

So my question is, is he at fault? If not, cool. If so, what should I so about it...I'm in the process of replacing the machine now...just need some direction...do I even need to go there?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brandon

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Of course he's at fault. Whether the UPS did it, or he failed to unplug it, or whatever. If the machine was damaged when he was working on it, then it is his fault and he should pay for it. I would if I did that to someone's machine because then it would be my fault.

If he tries to say that it is not because you didn't tell him about the UPS, or whatever excuse he can possibly make up, it doesn't matter. As the tech, he is supposed to check on all that before he starts working on anything.

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

It's kinda hard to replace a power supply without unplugging it first. And it is possible that the ports were damaged when the power supply first died.

But if it arced as he was hooking it up, it sure sounds like he plugged the new one in before connecting the supply wires to the MB (or didn't make sure it was discharged) - he's definitely at fault.

4. Covenant

Covenant

No kidding. What kind of tech disconnects the cord from the wall jack as opposed from the supply itself?!? That's the only way I can figure him "thinking it was unplugged" and still getting fried by a UPS.

Pfft...

However, you say "your tech guy"...

If he's done you well in the past, I suggest simply finding a new tech guy.
    If this is your first time meeting him or he works for a decently sized company, make them pay.

5. medic17506

This guy has worked for us multiple times in the past - he's a one man show and he's always done us a good job. It makes me cringe to think that this is his fault and he admitted no guilt at all, granted it's a costly error and we all make them and it was about time for a new system anyway. But, can I trust him now???? Who knows - We don't really have anyone that makes house calls anymore...guess we may need to start looking....what a pain in my rear(n)

At any rate, I've been able to fumble my way through remote access to her laptop and then network to the computer he trashed for us in order to get all the important files off of it...no thanks to him.

I very much appreciate this forum and everyone in it! You guys are a God send...I try to help out in other areas when I can - mostly QuickBooks questions...but, I just want to say THANK YOU to all the contributors here.

Brandon

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

There's no doubt in my mind that he is responsible. What you do about it is something you have to decide depending on your relationship with him, and the other consequences that none of us can see as clearly as you can. He should pay, but if that will cause you to lose your only option, then it may be something you just want to absorb, especially if he will both refuse to pay and you lose him as well. You'll have to do that calculation, I guess.

I brought a friend's VCR to my house to fix once. It worked when I picked it up, except for an ejection problem. When I get it home, it didn't work at all. I replaced it even though I knew that I had done nothing more than move it (gently) because I knew they wouldn't believe the truth, and the friendship was worth more than a VCR. You should think about what is going on in his head if he refuses to accept any responsibility and what he may do to you in the future.

7. bigbear

bigbear

Is the machine still running but with no usb ports or mouse port?
    You could install a pci usb card to replace the lost ones.

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you could connect to the PC over the network, then you may be able to just get an add-in USB card, and use a USB mouse (and keyboard, if the keyboard port got fried as well). The card would be usable in a new system when you do get one.
    You could also check and see if there are any unused USB headers on the motherboard; if so, and they weren't fried as well, an adapter to connect to them would be a bit cheaper than an add-in card.

A lot cheaper than a new motherboard, but also bear in mind that other components may have been damaged, so it may be ready to die at any moment.

9. medic17506

Putting in a USB card is an excellent idea! I wish I had thought about that prior to fumbling through everything I have...I may still do that just so I'll have access to it...actually, so SHE'LL have access to it without my help :) in the future, should she need to get anything else off of it after we migrate to her new machine.

Her new machine we just ordered along with mine - consists of, below...

As far as our relationship with him - hard to tell...like I said he's done good by us in the past - perhaps it was a dumb error - we all make'em...who knows. We'll probably end up eating this one as it was time for upgrade anyway, but this one ended up costing us over $3000...not really, - just for that system b/c we upgraded across the board...I got my new screaming laptop system, she gets my old laptop and the new pc listed below - I got a laptop for my wife...a new LCD widescreen and a color laser printer...

223-1769 1 Vostro 400, Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6550 (2.33GHz, 1333FSB 4MB L2)
    311-7366 1 2GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz, Dual Channel DT
    310-9322 1 Dell USB Keyboard
    320-5671 1 No Monitor
    320-5760 1 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 2DVI
    341-4989 1 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive 7200RPM, 8MB Cache
    341-5285 1 Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    420-7369 1 Genuine Windows XP Home
    420-7243 1 CyberLink PowerDVD 7.0 DVD Playback
    310-9440 1 Windows XP Home backup CD
    420-7286 1 GOOGLE SEARCH PORTAL ON
    313-5798 1 Dell Resource CD, Vostro 400
    420-7658 1 Dell Support Center 2.0 for Dell Vostro
    310-9326 1 Dell Scroll Mouse
    430-2501 1 Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
    313-5471 1 56K PCI Data Fax Modem, MNTW
    420-7275 1 Adobe Acrobat Reader
    313-5454 1 16X DVDROM Drive
    313-5672 1 Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    313-5461 1 No speakers
    420-7189 1 DellNetwork Assistant 1.7
    420-7262 1 No Pre-installed Security Software
    420-7280 1 No Internet Service Provider Requested
    420-7281 1 No Pre-installed Productivity Software
    412-0359 1 Soft Contracts - Qualxserve
    983-4250 1 Warranty Support,Initial Year
    987-6849 1 No Warranty, Year 2 and 3
    983-8540 1 Type 3 Contract - Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response, Initial Year
    988-0387 1 Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year
    420-7708 1 Dell DataSafe Online, 10GB for1 Year, for Dell Vostro
    987-7479 1 VOSTRO,Datasafe 10GB,1YR(Incl w/price)
    960-8851 1 1YR AUT. PC TUNE UP,VOSTRO, Included in Price
    420-7659 1 Dell PC Tuneup 1.0, for Dell Vostro
    310-8591 1 You have chosen a Windows XP System
    462-4506 1 Purchase is NOT intended for resell
    310-8977 1 S and P Drop-in-Box Marcom forBSD Systems Boxes

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Looks like you will have a good system.

And, yes, we all make "dumb errors". But we all have to pay for them, too, don't we? You can still be charged with manslaughter even if your intent was not murder. If we didn't have to pay for our mistakes, there would be absolutely no reason to be more careful in the future.

11. medic17506

Very good point about the dumb errors - what I believe that I'm going to do is allow him to own up to some kind of responsibility on his own. As I wasn't there at the time of his repair, next week I am going to call him (he usually gets to talk to me when he's up repairing her stuff anyway) and ask him to tell me what happened...this way I don't have to outright accuse him of anything but I can ask questions as he's telling me what happened.

If he'll just be blunt honest with me, chances are we'll continue to use him and won't make him pay for it...I just don't want to think he'd avoid responsibility...basically lying to me, I can't stand it! :mad:

12. steveie85

steveie85

I unplug the cord from the power supply not the wall when I work on a computer. I also double, tripple, qudruple check to make sure its unpluged and I also flip the little as I like to call it "dummy" switch as well. That way if I do forget the power cord its ok. I flip the switch first and unplug from the wall. I agree we all make mistakes, its human nature.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Perfect. Honesty would go a long way. If he told you that he did, in fact, make a mistake, but was too strapped to pay for it, that would go a long way. I know that with children, almost no matter what they do, they are 90% out of trouble just for telling me the truth :D. And as a result, they rarely deny doing things that I know they did. Some adults need to be treated the same way.

14. prunejuice

prunejuice

Is this a real "tech guy", or some kid that talked you into letting him touch your computers?

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does that matter? If he's always done a good job before?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/660166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice