1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tech help appreciated: PSU or GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by _Ady_, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Ady_

_Ady_ Thread Starter

Dear Techguys,

My Specs:

- MSI P7N DIAMOND (SOCKET 775)
    - INTEL QUAD Q6600 (NEVER OVERCLOCKED)
    - 4GB DUAL CHANNEL COSAIR DOMINATOR PC2 8500C5D 1066MHZ (CURRENTLY 800MHZ)
    - SB AUDIGY HD AUDIO 7.1
    - 2 X 500GB WESTERN DIGITAL HDD'S (PLENTY OF SPACE LEFT)
    - BFG OC GTX 280 (NEVER OVERCLOCKED, FROM STOCK SETTINGS, HAS AN AFTERMARKET COOLER)
    - BLU-RAY RE-WRITER/READER
    - LG DVD-ROM

My Story:

Im computer literate as ive built and maintained them for over 10years, although it's only "my" hardware that seems to give me errors. Anyway, Im used to playing on some high settings, I.E: Battlefield BC2 on max and was perfectly fine for months. I decided to go back on World of Warcraft to see some old mates and mid-way through pvp, everything froze solid, including graphics and sound, in which required a restart. After having no boot sequence what-so-ever, I dismantled the box to find a copper wire that is meant to be imbedded into the MB material, hanging out. As I had warrantee on my processor I decided to get a new one, and also buy a new p7n diamond mobo.
    It runs sweet as a nut, but only when in 2D.. desktop, video conversion, adobe... anything along those lines. But as soon as a high end game starts up, the heat from the graphics card is immense. The aftermarker cooler has 3 fans on compared to the OEM "one". Also applied expensive thermal paste when attaching the AM cooler.

Just tried Skyrim, L4D2, WoW and it lasts for around 10mins, then BSOD (hardware error). I know the card runs quite hot as standard, but the way the board layout is, its in the pci-slot very close to the Northbridge. Ive even setup another 4 12" fans around it and also had a office type fan through the side. Still no joy.

I just get standard minidumps with no driver issues etc. Just wondered if anyone has any clues or had been through the same drama. Im feeling a new graphics card, but are unsure as it might be an unstable psu. If someone can shed some light on this, I would be more than grateful.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate your time.

Ady

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice