1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

tech question about Norton SystemWorks

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by artchik, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. artchik

artchik Thread Starter

I am running win98 and have just installed Norton SystemWorks 2003 (not the pro edition). First I installed GoBack, which was a separate program on the CD, not bundled with the other utilities. After installing GoBack I proceeded to install the other utilities which included Norton AntiVirus 2003.

I previously had NAV 2002 on the computer, and misunderstood the installation instructions for "upgrading" to 2003--I thought the new version could be installed over the existing version. Big problems, as many of you probably know. Visits to the Symantec Support site had led me to uninstall Norton System Works through the Windows control panel, and reinstall the program after a clean boot. I am still getting errors with NAV 2003, and I'm sure it's because all of NAV 2002 was never quite cleaned out of the computer with the control panel uninstall. Symantec has provided more drastic "cleanup" applications, but I am afraid to use them for fear that it will mess things up further.

My question is this: should I also have removed GoBack as part of these proceedings? I have been hesitant to remove it, thinking I could just roll back my system to a happier time in case things get too messed up. If I uninstall it now, I will lose the one setting I have of the computer before any of the troublesome SystemWorks utilities were installed on it. But, it is part of the Norton Suite and maybe every single Symantec product has to be cleaned out of the system and reinstalled or the antivirus problem will remain. Does anyone have any experience with this particular situation?

2. Rache

Rache Banned

Apparently GoBack and NAV have some conflicting probs. Why I do not know, and as to why they're bundled together is beyond me.

I have SW03 too but haven't installed GBack for this very reason. I would suggest leaving GB but uninstalling NAV - have you the 'wipe' utility on SW03 disc, as this allows a TOTAL uninstall. Then you can reinstall NAV (taking a risk of more conflicts) or use AVG (which is just as good and free).

BTW GoBack is a Roxio product, not Nortons.

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

artchik
    Sorry to hear you are having many problems with Norton SW 2003. Why Norton does not incorporate a warning during install saying it has detected and earlier version thats need to be removed before 2003 install is beyond me. Anyway Norton Antivirus is a very stable product as is Roxio GoBack. If you are running WinME or WinXP GoBack and System Restore are redundant and will conflict with each-other. For all other OS's it is a very good tool to have.
    In order to correct the current problem you are having you will have to use the tools provided by Norton for proper removal. I would also remove GoBack for purpose of installation sequencing.
    When you install Norton System works do it in safemode and make sure any other Antivirus program you may of had installed are uninstalled and certainly not active. When Norton prompts during install to retrieve updates right after install say no and allow it to continue. After NSW is installed then restart computer. After computer is restarted then go retrieve the updates. After all updates are retrieved and installed then restart system again. At this point install GoBack if you do not have WinME or WinXP. If you do have WinXP or WinME and still want GoBack as some do then Disable System Restore properly before installing Goback.

Dave

4. slipe

slipe

By chance did GoBack make a reading before you installed SW? If it did you could use it to go back to before you installed SW 2003.

GoBack has some problems with Ghost in the 2002 version but I haven’t heard of any conflict with Noron AV. The problem between Ghost and GoBack involves having to disable GoBack before using Ghost. There is not an interaction that causes system problems. Symantec would have been unlikely to include GoBack with SW for two years funning if there was a conflict with their AV.

I would leave GoBack on the computer. The advantage of GoBack is that you don’t have to worry about doing things like using the Symantec uninstall utility. If it causes problems go back to before you did it and try something different. GoBack is completely independent of SW. It just happens to come on the SW CD.

5. artchik

artchik Thread Starter

I am glad to hear GoBack is not related to the other SystemWorks utilities. I had a feeling that was the case, and that's why I didn't uninstall it with the rest of the stuff during my trials to fix the Antivirus errors.

Also, I installed it first before the other stuff for the very reason of having a restore point in case the SystemWorks installation went wrong.

So, if I'm understanding this right, I can roll back the computer to the point before I installed the NSW utilities, when everything on the computer was working fine, and remove NAV2002 like I should have done in the first place. THen I can boot up the computer in safe mode and reinstall the rest of the utilities, and things should probably be okay?

My apologies for being so dense. It's just that all this troubleshooting is fairly new to me and I like to understand things exactly before I start taking drastic steps.

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hi artchik,

Yes, I think the best route would be to use GoBack to get to a point before you tried installing NSW2003. Then uninstall 2002 first.

good luck.

7. Flrman1

Flrman1

8. artchik

artchik Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for coming to my aid.

I have seen that System Clean application before; I have seen it promoted on Symantec's support site. They also have another application, "Rnav", which they say you are supposed to use after System Clean in order to remove all traces of a previous antivirus program.

Is System Clean enough on it's own to clean out old AV versions? I don't want to use Rnav unless I absolutely have to.

9. Flrman1

Flrman1

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice