1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tech report help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by qutyrach, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qutyrach

qutyrach Thread Starter

Hi , I am having some issues with my IP. I had my internet down for nearly a month just after they started a promotion.

They are threatening me with a 220$ fine, saying that it was my fault my service was down. I asked for a tech report for the supposed repair. The provided me with the below report, can anybody tell me what exactly the problem was, its hard for me to understand, being i'm not a tech.
    Thankyou in advance.

Below is the technician report that you requested for.

A RBT ULL DSL service fault has been restored (Optus WHS).

System ID: 538090
    Optus ID: 12811690
    Customer Reference: 734918
    Product: RBT ULL DSL
    Organisation: Symbio Wholesale Pty Limited
    Fault Start: 22/12/2014 11:32:07
    Service: ZYM#00000560296
    Symptom most suited to fault: Circuit Down/No Sync/No Dial Tone
    Fault Description: -no sync

Restoration Details:
    Clearance Details: Your fault has now been placed in a restored state.

CUS - No Fault was Identified on the Optus ULL Network

CPE - Customer Premise Equipment

UNK - Cause unknown

NFF - No Fault Found - No Fix Req.

Should you require further investigation, please update this case with
    additional troubleshooting results within the next 72hrs. This fault will be
    closed if no response is received.

Additional Clearance Details: No fault till MDF.
    Tagged at (A / 6 ) B side jumper intact.
    Fee for Service: Yes

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What issues?

Kinda impossible for one of us to tell, since the report says "Cause unknown" and "No Fault Found."

I think that the essence of the report is that "No Fault was Identified on the Optus ULL Network" and (probably) the problem was with the Customer Premise Equipment (CPE). CPE is equipment on the premises of the customer. Maybe your modem just needed to be reset. Maybe there is a lot more to the story that you haven't shared with us?

A fine!?! That's quite unusual. An ISP or phone company can charge you for service call(s) if the problem is yours instead of theirs, but I don't understand how they can fine you. Levying fines is a government activity.

3. qutyrach

qutyrach Thread Starter

Hi Terry appreciate the reply. My Modem was working fine. Basically what happened one day my connection dropped out and it never came back up . All the modem lights were on except for the Internet light. I rebooted my modem, rebooted my computer, power cycled everything, logged into my modem UI to try and find the problem. I have two phone line connections so I power cycled everything through the other line as well, I also tried a different modem, And no go.

I have naked adsl if its worth noting.

My IP took 22 days over the xmas period to get this fixed, so I had no internet from mid December until early January. MY IP Warned me from the start that if they sent out a tech guy and the fault was not theirs then I have to pay 220$ which they are now seeking. What bothers me is how I can be accountable for something im not qualified to diagnose and repair.

None the less I appreciate your feedback, and I will ask the IP for more details if they are going to claim it was a problem from my end.

Since they claim to have repaired this fault my internet is horrid, dropping out up to 10 ten times a day, and of course I got stupidly locked into a contract and have to deal with it. On top of that now I have to pay this fine.
    So I just needed to know exactly what I was getting charged for.

Thankyou for your time.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think you meant to say ISP (Internet Service Provider) rather than IP (Internet Protocol). :)

To nitpick some more, the charge is for the service call, not a fine.

But, more importantly, yes they certainly owe you an explanation of what was wrong that was your responsibility. When they say "no fault found" I cannot understand how they can claim that the "no fault" was your problem instead of theirs. And the fact that the service is now unstable means (to me) that there was, and still is, at least one problem that they own.

Ask them what caused the "no sync" in "Fault Description: -no sync."

Ask them what they did to achieve "Clearance Details: Your fault has now been placed in a restored state." and how you should have fixed that yourself.

I think they couldn't determine what was wrong and don't know which of their actions fixed it (or sorta fixed it). They're really pushing it to charge you under these conditions.

5. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Just to add.
    MDF means Main Distributor Frame. This is where the incoming telephone lines from the street terminate within a building.

Terry covered everything else

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice