1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tech support at Netgear

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DeeplyFrustrated, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DeeplyFrustrated

DeeplyFrustrated Thread Starter

Last weekend I was on the phone with Netgear for 4 hours trying to install a simple router and wireless adaptor for the second computer in the house.

The box says "normal installation time 20 minute"

Yesterday, the computer failed in loading Windows XP, so I had to restore the computer to a date PRIOR to the installation of the wireless adaptor.

Today, after 90 minutes on the phone, speaking to a man with an accent so thick, he had to spell just about every word (Whiskey Oscar Romeo Delta) using the phonetic alphabet.

Then we reach my boiling point where I can take it no longer, here's the conversation:

Netgear: Now, under >basic >wireless read me the number
    Me: There is no number
    Netgear: Yes, very good, now read me the number on the screen
    Me: I'm looking at the basic-wireless screen, there is no number on the screen anywhere, am I in the wrong place?
    Netgear: No, you are in the right place, just read me the number
    Me: There is no number to read on this page.
    Netgear: Yes, thank you, please read me the number on the screen.
    Me: Sir, are you listening to me? Say these words back to me, "there is no number on the screen to read."
    Netgear: What do you mean there is no number? Of course there is a number there.
    Me: May I speak to your supervisor?
    Netgear: No, I will solve your problem.
    Me: "click" I hung up.

90 minutes, problem remains, and I get a survey from netgear asking me to rate their customer service.

Am I the only person who thinks netgear's tech support needs to be upgraded?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hello, DeeplyFrustrated. I've never contacted Netgear's tech support, so have no comment there.

If you want help do you have DSL or cable or what? What's the brand and model of your modem. What model router? And, do you have anything working with the router?

3. hermes

hermes

Welcome to the wonderful world of outsourcing. Don't be too harsh on the guy, he's trying to earn a living and if you or I swapped shoes you would want to get on just as he is. All that aside after speaking to tech support just about anywhere often I despair. It's the system at fault, not them.

Post up your models and setup, it's fixable. separate the problem. Does the router work? If its netgear we can get that working no problem. The card sounds like it could be the issue, is that correct?

Best to leave any more advice till we get a better picture.

PS What I love about outsourced tech support is the assumed names the people are told to use; "Hello, your through to Billy kevin, how can I help you?"

4. maripotter

maripotter

I am a newbie here but I read your post with EXTREME interest. I bought a Netgear wireless adapter for one of my slightly older computers. Kids need a place to go onto that disastrous "MYSPACE" where they won't destroy my business computer.
    I tried to install the software following prompts, etc. I got an error code "1628". I tried several times to install it. My son thinking he is quite computer savvy thought it might be the software or adapter itself and took it to my business computer (HP Pav a1540n) and started downloading. That's when the real fun started.
    Since he tried this, I have lost several items on the computer. All USB connections were lost and difficult to re-enable. I still cannot get the printers to align even tho the realign screen repeatedly appears.
    I lost the desktop background and screensaver. Not a huge issue but irritating since graphic is my business.
    Then I lost all ability to access the internet at all. The IP address was missing and no one seemed to be able to tell me how to fix it. I went through all of the known ways to solve this issue first on my own. Then I called for support.

"Janet" in Dehli spoke to me through unintelligible English and connected me to "Mike" who referred me to "James" who told me that for $99.00 he could give me the code to fix the problem. When I asked him why I had to pay for the information when me computer is under warranty, he added that if I chose to pay today, he wouldn't charge me tax! How sweet!
    I asked for his supervisor. He refused to connect me!
    Later in our now heated conversation, he said that they were getting 4 to 5 calls per day about similar issues! WTF? I replied that if they were getting that many calls, per day, then perhaps it was some kind of glitch in the software or something? No answer.

I asked about a system restore. He almost screamed into the phone that a SR would corrupt the operating system and there would be no way to fix the issue at all.

Needless to say, I didn't pay any money. I did the system restore and today I am searching through Tech Support Guy to find answers.
    So I am not sure I can help you fix yours but know that you are not alone in your frustration!:mad: :rolleyes:
    So post your components and maybe someone out there can help us!

Smile.. it's almost summer!:D

5. hermes

hermes

Sale of Goods regulations. Tech Support have told you it is an known problem, goods aren't fit for sale. Money back, whether they like it or not. If not, go to trading standards.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/564495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice