1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

tech support in need of extra support

Discussion in 'Networking' started by foxx, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

hello to everyone!!

im working as a tech support agent for one of the biggest ISP in the US.. its a good paying job and also very challenging.. i use to troubleshoot internet connection issues for residential accounts (1 pc only) and for all other issues that i get, i browse for similar issues on the forums of this site.. well, most of them came pretty handy (esp for the security forums).. now, i got transferred to the networking department and im in a total loss!! i can do simple troubleshooting and install assists for new networking users but i really need help in issues like:
    1. remote access/ port forwarding
    2. invalid IP addresses on the wireless devices
    3. file and printer sharing
    i was browsing through all the topics but i cant find any.. if there is someone out there who can help me with this issue and give me some pointers on how i am going to do this in an easier way.. i would really appreciate any assistance..

thanks in advance!! :D
    foxxy

2. Sponsor

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Hrmmmm well those are 3 very general topics and the fact that doing support you potentially can come along a TON of different chardware setups your not going to find anything easy and straight forward.

If you just want general concepts though here is some for you

1. remote access/ port forwarding
    ISP - Router has port forwadrd to static IP on its network side - PC is up and has no firewall blockign port router has forwarded. At this point the person from the other side uses WAN IP to get remote access to the PC. This can be done with a variety of programs.

2. invalid IP addresses on the wireless devices
    Usually the best way to check this is IPCONFIG /all and again you have to know how the wireless router is giving out IP's some use 192.168.0.1 some use 1.1 some use 10.10 the main thing to make sure is if they are using a router most times you don't want to see the APIPA 169.254.X.X address.

3. file and printer sharing
    All depends on the OS file and print sharing setup is different on almost every OS as well depends on if simple file sharing is turned on or off. BobCereli has a goog guide on file sharing troubleshooting that is good for general tips.

4. O111111O

O111111O

Don't you guys use Clarify/Remedy/Servicedesk/Onyx to track tickets, and put resolutions in them?

If you're huge, I would imaging that you should have a huge subscriber base, and a huge internal knowledge base.

5. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

well, with the remote access and port forwarding, its easy if you have the right tools... same goes with file and printer sharing.. its the issues that i get about the invalid IP address most especially if its a wireless connection. how would i know if its the router that has the inability to give out a valid address? or if its the wireless adapter that is not recognizing the router? if its a wired connection, i can fix that in minutes, but with a wireless, im totally lost..

6. foxx

foxx Thread Starter

for: 01111110

yup, we do all those things... we have all the tools needed too.. we have supports both in the place where we work and online.. but those supports dont target the specifics, we train for the general knowledge to get a hang of the basic remedies but we can never have the same issue for the same customer.. (and we are not allowed to refer them out) so right now, i have to know something about almost eveything that has something to do with internet connections and networking.. im only human, thats why i ask for help..

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice