Tech Support

Sark's_Flame

I have a job interview this week for a Tech Support position. Can anyone give me a run down on what are the basics of Tech Support? Like what kind of questions do you think they'll ask? Your help would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm going to study it all before I go in for my interview thursday. I really need this job, please help! :(

angelize56

Always remembered in our hearts
Welcome to TSG Sark's! :) I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you!! :) Best of luck getting the job! :)

You are applying for a job that you have no experience in? There really is no "basics" of technical support, it all depends on what they are hiring for.

Sark's_Flame

angelize56 said:
Welcome to TSG Sark's! :) I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you!! :) Best of luck getting the job! :)
Thanks so much!

You are applying for a job that you have no experience in? There really is no "basics" of technical support, it all depends on what they are hiring for.
It's a call centre type job and I applied for the Customer Service position but they put me into the tech support interview because that's what they have offered right now. I guess its better because it pays more but I REALLY just need to get the job.

What I meant by basics was stuff like trouble shooting or software installation. Is'nt there something I could read up on to study so I can pass the test? Just a list of topics would be good so I would know where to start just to pass the questions. The company will train me if they think I know enough so I would be qualified to handle tech support questions later on.

[tsg=welcome] Welcome to TSG! [/tsg]

I wouldn't worry too much about it. They may ask a few basic computer questions (sometimes looking for wrong answers :eek: ), but most companies will train you on the product you're expected to support. If you're qualified for customer service, you're probably qualified for tech support (y)

bruchmaster has got it right, and reason no one can give you a list of the "basics" is because without knowing exactly what the job entails it is impossible, for example -

what would your required tools to make a new network workstation run? - cat5, modular rj45 ends, crimping tool/cutter - basic network hardware support type job.
what is the command to work with the system status on a machine running i5/OS? - WRKSYSSTS - basic AS/400 (IBM box, not some wimpy PC (y) ) knowledge for a programming or operator job.
what are the ARS toll tables used for? - controlling which phone # prefixes get a charge - PBX (phone system computer) programmer, support job.

see what i mean?? damn i'm over worked, as i do all those and work with these damn little pc toys :D

Welcome to TSG. One major thing you need to keep in mind is, when your a technician for a company and you do over the phone assistance, Remember to have good people skills because they will drive you nuts. The jobs okay, I've been a tech for a year now with Dragon Internet and I hate almost everyone that calls me. But the pays very good and some calls are fun. Just remember, if the customer asks for something, if you make notes of all the calls, reporting what has been done, anything they request you will need to mark that they requested it. Good luck at the interview and hopefully you'll enjoy being a tech more than I am right now. :D

Sark's_Flame

Snoogins said:
Welcome to TSG. One major thing you need to keep in mind is, when your a technician for a company and you do over the phone assistance, Remember to have good people skills because they will drive you nuts. The jobs okay, I've been a tech for a year now with Dragon Internet and I hate almost everyone that calls me. But the pays very good and some calls are fun. Just remember, if the customer asks for something, if you make notes of all the calls, reporting what has been done, anything they request you will need to mark that they requested it. Good luck at the interview and hopefully you'll enjoy being a tech more than I am right now. :D
That's probably what I'll be doing. It's tech support for a call centre, so we would be helping customers. I'm not worried about the actual job I know I can get through the training its just the questions they might ask at the interview that worry me. They're going to give me a test with computer questions to see if I have enough tech skill. Do you remember what kind of questions they asked you about computers to see if you had enough skill? I figure they'll ask basic questions so I want to get accquainted with it first. :(

First off, their questions will probably be very basic. Most companies, when hiring tech support agents, will take any warm body. Secondly, a familiarity with computer basics is not necessarily helpful... an example:

A tech support outsourcing company where I worked for years asked this question; "What three files are needed to boot any computer?" The answer they were seeking was "Command.com, Config.sys, and Autoexec.bat" (this was in the days of DOS and Windows 3.1). The more nearly correct answer of "Command.com, MSDOS.sys, and IO.sys" was not acceptable.

In short, just do your best, be upbeat and personable, and you should have no problem.

If they know that its your first tech support job then I wouldn't worry too much about the tech questions, normally the questions will be pretty straightforward, the only one I remember from my first tech test was how to uninstall a program, pretty simple.

Whats probably more important is that you show an ability to learn (most tech support is learnt on the job rather than in training) and can give examples of when you've had to diagnose a problem on your home PC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online